Can light generate propulsion?

In summary, a flashlight in space can generate a very small amount of thrust, but the thrust per unit energy is also very small.
Science news on Phys.org
So if I had a flashlight in space and I turned it on, I could see it moving relative to me?

RandyD123 said:
So if I had a flashlight in space and I turned it on, I could see it moving relative to me?
Yes, if you are in free fall and you turn on a flashlight and then let go of it, it will accelerate slightly. However, the operative word here is "slightly", as the force involved is extremely small - it's a good exercise to try calculating it for yourself, but for reasonable assumptions about the size and power of a flashlight I'm getting a micro-Newton or thereabouts, which is well and thoroughly negligible.

The real appeal of light propulsion is that you can use a fixed power source to illuminate a solar sail, so the propulsion system doesn't have to accelerate itself and its fuel supply. You attach the sail to the payload, and then send it on its way using a powerful earth-based laser.

. . . or light from a nearby star.

Another advantage of light propulsion is that, if you use an on-board torch (X1000000, say), you are imparting momentum to your craft without using up any of its mass which is what always happens with a rocket engine. Even Ion Drive engines end up depleting their mass.

sophiecentaur said:
Another advantage of light propulsion is that, if you use an on-board torch (X1000000, say), you are imparting momentum to your craft without using up any of its mass which is what always happens with a rocket engine. Even Ion Drive engines end up depleting their mass.
Ummm, shining a light out the back does deplete mass. The required energy has a mass equivalent.

jbriggs444 said:
Ummm, shining a light out the back does deplete mass. The required energy has a mass equivalent.
True, in principle but there is a factor of c2 in there somewhere. Not sure where the photon momentum (hc/λ) would affect the effective ratio of ejected mass and ejected photons but the mass defect would still be tiny.

sophiecentaur said:
True, in principle but there is a factor of c2 in there somewhere. Not sure where the photon momentum (hc/λ) would affect the effective ratio of ejected mass and ejected photons but the mass defect would still be tiny.
Yes, but there is a trade-off. The thrust per unit energy is also tiny.

The sweet spot for exhaust velocity depends on the energy density of your fuel. A photon drive is in the sweet spot for an antimatter fuel source. With less energy density than that, a lower exhaust velocity is better -- eject the expended fuel as reaction mass.

Likes houlahound and sophiecentaur

1. How can light generate propulsion?

Light can generate propulsion through the transfer of momentum. When photons of light strike an object, they transfer their momentum to the object, causing it to move in the opposite direction. This phenomenon is known as radiation pressure or photon pressure.

2. Is light propulsion a real concept or just science fiction?

Light propulsion is a real concept that has been extensively studied and demonstrated in various experiments. NASA and other space agencies are actively researching and developing light-propelled spacecrafts, known as solar sails, for future space missions.

3. What materials can be used for light propulsion?

Any material that can reflect or absorb light can be used for light propulsion. However, materials with high reflectivity, such as metals, are more commonly used for solar sails as they can reflect a greater amount of light and generate more propulsion.

4. Can light propulsion be used for interstellar travel?

Light propulsion is a promising technology for interstellar travel as it does not require any fuel and can reach very high speeds. However, it would still take a significant amount of time to travel to other stars using light propulsion, so it is currently being developed for smaller-scale missions.

5. What are the potential applications of light propulsion?

Aside from space travel, light propulsion has potential applications in various fields such as satellite propulsion, space debris removal, and deep space exploration. It could also be used for energy harvesting and propulsion in Earth-based systems, such as solar sails for ships and vehicles.