Can Neutrons Be Redirected Through Macroscopic Means?

• Thread starter NERV
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Neutron
In summary, The magnetic moment of a neutron is very small, but mirrors can be used to reflect neutrons.
NERV
I know there is no way to deflect a neutron by electromagnetic force since it is a uncharged particle.Can anyone come up with any other ways?Thanks very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Magnetic field perhaps? Neutrons have a (small) magnetic moment.

For fast neutrons, there's not much hope. However, thermal or cold neutrons undergo optical effects (you can - up to a point - make mirrors and lenses for them).

Otherwise, yes, magnetic forces, but they'll be tiny effects on the trajectory.

i don't think magnetic field would do the trick.. afterall the magnetic moment of the neutron is very small.. but i like vanesch's idea of mirrors :) i don't know if it's been tested yet ;)

You have neutron mirrors in fission-bombs (a.k.a Atomic Bombs)

In what energy range are you interested in NERV?

Neutrons are scattered by electrons via a magnetic moment-moment interaction.
At high momentum transfer, the magnetic interaction is larger than the charge interaction,
so neutrons are scattered about as much as protons by EM interactions.
Neutrons are scattered by hadrons and nuclei via the strong interaction.

napaDokc said:
i don't think magnetic field would do the trick.. afterall the magnetic moment of the neutron is very small.. but i like vanesch's idea of mirrors :) i don't know if it's been tested yet ;)

We use them all the time but only for thermal or cold ones. We have "optical fibres" that guide neutrons. We even have "fully reflective" mirrors, but that only works with ultracold (micro-electron volt) neutrons. This is a company that makes them, for instance (random googling) http://www.swissneutronics.ch/products/concept-supermirrors.html

Last edited by a moderator:
clem said:
Neutrons are scattered by electrons via a magnetic moment-moment interaction.
At high momentum transfer, the magnetic interaction is larger than the charge interaction,
so neutrons are scattered about as much as protons by EM interactions.
Neutrons are scattered by hadrons and nuclei via the strong interaction.

But that is a very local (microscopic)scattering. I think the OP is looking for a global (macroscopic) way to bend a neutron beam or similar. Otherwise it is just a 'random walk' - scattering which you use in 'ordinary' neutron detectors for instance.

1. What is a neutron?

A neutron is a subatomic particle that has no electrical charge and is found in the nucleus of an atom.

2. Why do we need to deflect neutrons?

Deflecting neutrons is important in many fields of science, such as nuclear physics and medical imaging. It allows for the manipulation and control of neutron beams for various experiments and applications.

3. How can we deflect a neutron?

There are several methods for deflecting neutrons, including using magnetic fields, electric fields, and collisions with other particles. The specific method used depends on the desired outcome and the properties of the neutron being deflected.

4. What are the risks of deflecting neutrons?

Deflecting neutrons can be dangerous if not done properly. Neutron beams can be harmful to living organisms, so proper safety precautions must be taken when working with them.

5. Can neutrons be deflected in outer space?

Yes, neutrons can be deflected in outer space. In fact, the intense magnetic fields in space can cause neutrons to be deflected and redirected, which is important for understanding cosmic rays and other phenomena in the universe.