Can P(x) be factored into irreducible polynomials over Z_5?

  • Thread starter Thread starter beetle2
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Polynomials
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
beetle2
Messages
110
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Write [itex]P(x) = x^3+2x+3[/itex] as the product of Irreducible Polynomials over [itex]Z_5[/itex]

Homework Equations



Polynomial division

The Attempt at a Solution



I start out by taking out a factor of [itex]x+3[/itex]

That is

[itex]x+3 \div x^3+2x+3[/itex]


I get [itex]P(x) = x^2-3x+1[/itex] which has zero remainder mod 5.


Is the product of irreducible polynomial [itex](x+3) (x^2-3x+1)[/itex]


or do I reduce [itex]P(x) = x^2-3x+1[/itex] by taking out a factor of x+1 ie


[itex]x+1 \div x^2-3x+1[/itex]


I know the irreducible polynomials coefficients should add up to the original degree ,So I have one with degree 1 and the second with degree 2.

am I on the right track?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, a product of irreducible polynomials requires all your polynomials to be irreducible.

You're on the right track, the question now is: is x+3 irreducible, and is x2-3x+1 irreducible?
 
I evaluated

[itex]x+1 \div x^2-3x+1[/itex]

which is [itex]P(X)= x-4[/itex] zero remainder mod 5

So I have three irreducible Polynomials whose degrees add to three ie


[itex](x+3)(x+1)(x-4)[/itex]

Hows that look
 
Is there a way to check that my answer is right?
 
beetle2 said:
Is there a way to check that my answer is right?

Multiply your product out and reduce the coefficients mod 5.
 
I multiply it out and get

[itex]x^3-13x-12[/itex] which is [itex]x^3-3x-2[/itex]mod 5 so I'm doing something wrong.
 
beetle2 said:
I multiply it out and get

[itex]x^3-13x-12[/itex] which is [itex]x^3-3x-2[/itex]mod 5 so I'm doing something wrong.

Don't forget 2=(-3) and 3=(-2) mod 5.
 
I think I need some more practice, It can get confusing just doing ordinary polynomial division without having modulo as well
[itex]x^3+2x+3[/itex]

thanks for your help