1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constructing a splitting field for polynomial over F_5

1. Nov 28, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    f(x) = x^7 + 3x^6 + 3x^5 - x^3 - 3x^2 - 3x where the coefficients are elements of F_5. Show that this polynomial is divisible by x^5-x and construct a splitting field L for f over F_5 and computer [L:F_5]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So the first thing I did was turn all the negative coefficients positive so that f(x) = x^7 + 3x^6 + 3x^5 + 4x^3 + 2x^2 + 2x and we want to divide this polynomial by x^5+4x. Upon doing the long division, I get a quotient x^2 + 3x + 3 with remainder 4x^3... I checked my steps and I got the same answer with the same remainder, can anyone check my work here?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

##x^2+3x+3## is correct, without remainder. You don't need to convert the coefficients. The equations keep being true, even outside the standard representation of ##\mathbb{F}_5.## I only used it to simplify the roots of this last polynomial of degree ##2,## e.g. ##\frac{1}{2}=3.##
    After that one can write down all ##7## roots which makes the splitting field quite obvious.

4. Nov 28, 2016 #3
    Yes, excellent. And yet I am still having trouble finding all the roots. So the polynomial reduces to ##(x^2+3x+3)(x^5+4x)=(x^2+3x+3)(x^4+4)x. So the first three roots are the solutions to the quadratic and zero, are the other 4 roots c*i(4)^1/4 where c is a primitive fourth root of unity?

5. Nov 28, 2016 #4

fresh_42

You can factor ##x^4+4##. It would be more obvious if you had kept the sign: ##x^4+4=x^4-1##. Now use ##x^4=(x^2)^2##.
    And ##x^2+3x+3=0## can be done by the usual formula. The only critical point in the formula is ##\frac{1}{2}## but this is simply ##3##.

6. Nov 29, 2016 #5
    are the solutions to ##x^4-1=0## the powers of a primitive fourth root of unity? i.e. the powers of i? even in ##F_5##?

7. Nov 29, 2016 #6

fresh_42

Not so complicated. Just remember the formula ##(x-a)(x+a)=x^2-a^2##. This gives you ##(x^2-1)(x^2+1)## in our case. The first factor splits again according to the same formula. To split the second, now write ##x^2+1=x^2-4## and consider ##2\cdot 2=4## even in ##\mathbb{F}_5##.

Edit: The fourth roots of unity will work as well, but with the way above, it's easier to see, that ##i=2## in ##\mathbb{F}_5##.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted