Can Rock, Paper, Scissors Be Reinvented with New Rules?

  • Thread starter Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Paper Rock
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
645 replies · 53K views
DaveC426913
Gold Member
2025 Award
Messages
24,692
Reaction score
9,083
I rather liked https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=110807", and thought it had potential (for imagination that is - HINT HINT :rolleyes:), but it was shut down when it became too silly.

With Evo's permission (granted), and Mattara's permission (pending), I'd like to start it again, but with some boundaries.

1] Reply with an object that "beats" the previous object in some healthy and undeniable way. Replies should be of the form Y [verb]'s X.

Things disallowed:
a] no going back in time. (i.e "no gas" as a reply for chainsaw disallowed) You can act upon the object that was brought, but you cannot change what was brought.
b] no people or actions (man refilling tank disallowed, though I guess can of gas is allowed)
c] no fictional objects or half-baked theoretical objects (repealing nature)
d] no repeats - an object can only be used once
e] no hammers!

(And let's see if we can get a single thread going, rather than multiple branches - though I don't know how).

I'll start it off:

Pen writes post.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thermite...burns computer with the post, the table, and burns a hole through the ground... (it melts metal, you can't hammer it. Once the reaction starts, nothing can stop it. Its nasty stuff, BEAT THAT!)
 
I have no clue what the original game was about (Dave, you should include a link), so I'm guessing a little here :
DaveC426913 said:
Pen writes post.
Post kills thread.
 
Sorry, the active word is pen. The game is to find something that beats pen.

eg. Tin snips cut pen.
 
Off-topic: Are maces allowed?
 
Sulfuric acid dissolves tin snips.

(See, I can play nice too.)
 
Vaccine prevents bird flu.

Edit: hmmm, sorry, this may be against "no going back in time"
 
Last edited:
Orefa said:
Vaccine prevents bird flu.
FDA requires further testing of vaccine before allowing it to go on market.
 
Orefa said:
Vaccine prevents bird flu.

Edit: hmmm, sorry, this may be against "no going back in time"
I believe it does.

Birdflu kills hummingbird is the last proper thing posted to defeat.
 
zoobyshoe said:
I believe it does.

Birdflu kills hummingbird is the last proper thing posted to defeat.
DDT eradicates birds.

Edit: What a lame post. DDT kills bugs and birds eat bugs, but it will take years to eradicate birds. It'll never work in time to stop an outbreak of birdflu.
 
Gamma ray bursts kills all life on Earth, and in extension, kills bird flu.
 
arildno said:
Gamma ray bursts kills all life on Earth, and in extension, kills bird flu.
Yikes!

...
 
flames, it will melt the hammer and everything around it
 
Offended contestant spits on Simon Cowell.

(I realize this probably makes no sense right now, but the rules said nothing about traveling into the future.)
 
Offended contestant was gay (reverses nail effect)
 
Gay Offended Contestant was exposed to high concentrations of Beta radiation.
 
I'll go back and lower the ante:

Cat kills hummingbird.
 
arildno said:
Scissors kills cat.
Bulldozer runs over scissors.
 
Bull wakes up and stops dozing.