1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can someone check my explanation of sequences and series?

1. Apr 12, 2014 #1
    It's been a while since I've dealt with sequences and series. Here is my explanation of sequences and series and let me know if I am right or wrong.

A sequence is just a list of numbers. By convention, we use the letter ##a## for sequences and they are written in a form like so: ##a_1,a_2,a_3,a_4,...##

A sequence can be finite or infinite.

1,2,3,4 is a finite sequence. 1,2,3,4,... is an infinite sequence.

An arithmetic sequence, for some constant d: ##a_n=a_0+dn##
    A geometric sequence, for some constant r: ##a_{ n }=a_{ 0 }r^{ n }##

A series is the sum of the terms of a sequence. By convention, is there a letter for series? I can't remember. Let us use the letter S in the meantime. Series are written like so: ##S_1,S_2,S_3,S_4,...##

Let Sn be the series of the finite sequence mentioned earlier. S1=1. S2=3. S3=6. S4=10.

Let Sn be the series of the infinite sequence mentioned earlier. S=∞

I feel like I'm doing something wrong. Can anyone briefly mention which parts are wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2014 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Except for minor typo (you have Sn when you meant S in last line), looks fine.

4. Apr 13, 2014 #3
    When you explain arithmetic and geometric sequences, the general term expression(s) are given by:
    [itex] a_n = a_0 + d(n-1) [/itex]
    [itex] g_n = g_0 \cdot r^{n-1} [/itex]
    The [itex] n-1 [/itex] is necessary to generate the term; for example, the sequence
    [itex] 1, 2, 3, 4, 5,... [/itex]
    is arithmetic, and if I wanted to generate the 6th term of the sequence, I would use:
    [itex] a_6 = 1 + 1(6-1) = 6[/itex]
    Had I used your expression, [itex] a_n = a_0 + dn [/itex], then the term would be:
    [itex] a_6 = 1 + 1(6) = 7[/itex], which is obviously not the 6th term of the sequence.
    The same goes for geometric sequences. Consider
    [itex] 2, 4, 8, 16, 32,...[/itex]
    If I wanted to generate the 6th term of this sequence, I would use:
    [itex] g_6 = 2 \cdot (2)^{6-1} = 2 \cdot 32 = 64 [/itex]
    Again, if I used your expression:
    [itex] g_6 = 2 \cdot (2)^{6} = 2 \cdot 64 = 128 [/itex]
    So really what your expressions do is generate the [itex] n + 1 ^{th} [/itex] term of the sequence, rather than the [itex] n^{th} [/itex]
    Your explanations of series are also fine, but I might add the more formal definition of a series:
    [itex] S_n = \sum_{i=0}^{n} t_i [/itex] which is really just the sum of some number of terms.Furthermore, an infinite sequence does not always add to infinity, as a geometric sequence with a ratio [itex] r [/itex] such that [itex]-1 < r < 1 [/itex] converges as [itex] n \rightarrow \infty [/itex]. The example that you gave, though, will diverge to [itex] \infty [/itex].

5. Apr 14, 2014 #4

disregardthat

Science Advisor

Well, this would imply that [itex] a_0 = a_0 -d [/itex], which is not quite right. You probably mean [itex]a_{n-1}[/itex], but there's nothing wrong with Visheras explanation.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  6. Apr 14, 2014 #5
    I'm not sure what you're arguing, as [itex] a_{n+1} [/itex] implies a recursion, in which case (for an arithmetic progression) [itex] a_{n+1} = a_n + d [/itex]
    Consider:
    [itex] a_0 = a_0
    \\
    a_1 = a_0 + d
    \\
    a_2 = a_1 + d = (a_0 + d) + d = a_0 + 2d
    \\
    a_3 = a_2 + d = (a_0 + 2d) + d = a_0 + 3d
    \\
    a_4 = a_3 + d = (a_0 + 3d) + d = a_0 + 4d
    \\
    \vdots
    \\
    a_n = a_{n-1} + d = (a_0 + (n-1)d) \rightarrow a_n = a_0 + d(n-1)
    [/itex]
    Furthermore, for a geometric sequence:
    [itex] g_0 = g_0
    \\
    g_1 = g_0 \cdot r
    \\
    g_2 = g_1 \cdot r = (g_0 \cdot r) \cdot r = g_0 \cdot r^2
    \\
    g_3 = g_2 \cdot r = (g_0 \cdot r^2) \cdot r = g_0 \cdot r^3
    \\
    \vdots
    \\
    g_n = g_0 \cdot r^{n-1}
    [/itex]
    QED
    Keep in mind that [itex] a_n [/itex] or [itex] g_n [/itex] is the [itex] n + 1^{th} [/itex] term.

7. Apr 14, 2014 #6

disregardthat

Science Advisor

If you look at the sentence I quoted you will see what I mean.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook