Can someone check my explanation of sequences and series?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
Vishera
Messages
72
Reaction score
1
It's been a while since I've dealt with sequences and series. Here is my explanation of sequences and series and let me know if I am right or wrong.

A sequence is just a list of numbers. By convention, we use the letter ##a## for sequences and they are written in a form like so: ##a_1,a_2,a_3,a_4,...##

A sequence can be finite or infinite.

1,2,3,4 is a finite sequence. 1,2,3,4,... is an infinite sequence.

An arithmetic sequence, for some constant d: ##a_n=a_0+dn##
A geometric sequence, for some constant r: ##a_{ n }=a_{ 0 }r^{ n }##

A series is the sum of the terms of a sequence. By convention, is there a letter for series? I can't remember. Let us use the letter S in the meantime. Series are written like so: ##S_1,S_2,S_3,S_4,...##

Let Sn be the series of the finite sequence mentioned earlier. S1=1. S2=3. S3=6. S4=10.

Let Sn be the series of the infinite sequence mentioned earlier. S=∞

I feel like I'm doing something wrong. Can anyone briefly mention which parts are wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Except for minor typo (you have Sn when you meant S in last line), looks fine.
 
When you explain arithmetic and geometric sequences, the general term expression(s) are given by:
[itex]a_n = a_0 + d(n-1)[/itex]
[itex]g_n = g_0 \cdot r^{n-1}[/itex]
The [itex]n-1[/itex] is necessary to generate the term; for example, the sequence
[itex]1, 2, 3, 4, 5,...[/itex]
is arithmetic, and if I wanted to generate the 6th term of the sequence, I would use:
[itex]a_6 = 1 + 1(6-1) = 6[/itex]
Had I used your expression, [itex]a_n = a_0 + dn[/itex], then the term would be:
[itex]a_6 = 1 + 1(6) = 7[/itex], which is obviously not the 6th term of the sequence.
The same goes for geometric sequences. Consider
[itex]2, 4, 8, 16, 32,...[/itex]
If I wanted to generate the 6th term of this sequence, I would use:
[itex]g_6 = 2 \cdot (2)^{6-1} = 2 \cdot 32 = 64[/itex]
Again, if I used your expression:
[itex]g_6 = 2 \cdot (2)^{6} = 2 \cdot 64 = 128[/itex]
So really what your expressions do is generate the [itex]n + 1 ^{th}[/itex] term of the sequence, rather than the [itex]n^{th}[/itex]
Your explanations of series are also fine, but I might add the more formal definition of a series:
[itex]S_n = \sum_{i=0}^{n} t_i[/itex] which is really just the sum of some number of terms.Furthermore, an infinite sequence does not always add to infinity, as a geometric sequence with a ratio [itex]r[/itex] such that [itex]-1 < r < 1[/itex] converges as [itex]n \rightarrow \infty[/itex]. The example that you gave, though, will diverge to [itex]\infty[/itex].
 
AMenendez said:
When you explain arithmetic and geometric sequences, the general term expression(s) are given by:
[itex]a_n = a_0 + d(n-1)[/itex]
[itex]g_n = g_0 \cdot r^{n-1}[/itex]

Well, this would imply that [itex]a_0 = a_0 -d[/itex], which is not quite right. You probably mean [itex]a_{n-1}[/itex], but there's nothing wrong with Visheras explanation.
 
Last edited:
disregardthat said:
Well, this would imply that [itex]a_0 = a_0 -d[/itex], which is not quite right. You probably mean [itex]a_{n+1}[/itex], but there's nothing wrong with Visheras explanation.
I'm not sure what you're arguing, as [itex]a_{n+1}[/itex] implies a recursion, in which case (for an arithmetic progression) [itex]a_{n+1} = a_n + d[/itex]
Consider:
[itex]a_0 = a_0<br /> \\<br /> a_1 = a_0 + d<br /> \\<br /> a_2 = a_1 + d = (a_0 + d) + d = a_0 + 2d<br /> \\<br /> a_3 = a_2 + d = (a_0 + 2d) + d = a_0 + 3d<br /> \\<br /> a_4 = a_3 + d = (a_0 + 3d) + d = a_0 + 4d<br /> \\<br /> \vdots<br /> \\<br /> a_n = a_{n-1} + d = (a_0 + (n-1)d) \rightarrow a_n = a_0 + d(n-1)[/itex]
Furthermore, for a geometric sequence:
[itex]g_0 = g_0<br /> \\<br /> g_1 = g_0 \cdot r<br /> \\<br /> g_2 = g_1 \cdot r = (g_0 \cdot r) \cdot r = g_0 \cdot r^2<br /> \\<br /> g_3 = g_2 \cdot r = (g_0 \cdot r^2) \cdot r = g_0 \cdot r^3<br /> \\<br /> \vdots<br /> \\<br /> g_n = g_0 \cdot r^{n-1}[/itex]
QED
Keep in mind that [itex]a_n[/itex] or [itex]g_n[/itex] is the [itex]n + 1^{th}[/itex] term.
 
If you look at the sentence I quoted you will see what I mean.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person