Can someone explain the Earth's magnetic field to me?

In summary, the Earth's magnetic field is like a bundle of charge. It spins from west to east, creating an anti-clockwise rotation of charges. The Flemming's Right Hand Grip Rule helps determine the direction of the magnetic field, which goes from south to north. To apply the hand rule in a circular magnetic field, imagine the equator as a circuit loop with current flowing anti-clockwise. The thumb points east, the fingers point downward, and the palm points out of the page. This determines the direction of the magnetic field, which is downward toward Earth's surface. The Right Hand Rule must be used for the correct result.
Suy
I don't really understand how the Earth's Magnet work. For example, when the question say the electron is moving horizontally to the east. And then i asked someone, they said the horizontal actually is the vertical. And why does the magnetic field go from south to north, isn't north to south? is the Earth magnetic field line straight?
How would you compare if the lightning strike a beam of electron at the equator or at the pole??
How would you apply the hand rule to determine the direction of electron traveling horizontally?
If someone could explain the concept to me. Btw, i have a test tomorrow, if anyone can explain this to me today.
thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
think of the Earth as a bundle of charge. because the Earth spins from west to east, if you were to look at the Earth from top at the north pole, the Earth's rotation, and thus the charges the Earth is made up of, would be anti clockwise. flemming's right hand grip rule does the rest.

Can you explain it a little more? And answer some of my question.
actually, the main thing is that i don't know how to use the hand rule to apply on a circular magnetic field...
ty!

think of just the equator, think of the circle it describes as being a circuit loop. current is flowing around the loop anticlockwise, so by Flemming's RHGR, the net magnetic field is always pointing up towards the north pole inside the loop.

just remember for the circular loop, you apply the grip rule at the tangent at that point, i think that's what you were asking

Yes, that's make sense to me now. So the direction of magnetic field is downward.
But how do you use hand rule to determine to deflected direction?
Like ,if the electron is traveling horizontally from west to east at the equator, what is the direction of deflected force?
I used the left hand for electron, the thumb point east , the finger point downward, the palm is pointing out of the page(pointing toward me).
but the answer in my textbook is downward toward Earth's surface. I don't know why..

Please anyone??

You have to use your right hand or the Right Hand Rule won't work...

ok, but even i used the right hand rule, i still got the same result...

Suy said:
ok, but even i used the right hand rule, i still got the same result...

The direction of the field is north. The direction of the particle (negatively charged) is east.

[tex]\vec{v}\times\vec{B}[/tex] is downward.

The magnetic force on the particl is [tex]q\vec{v}\times\vec{B}[/tex]. [tex]q[/tex] is negative, so the force points up, away from the earth.

1. What is the Earth's magnetic field?

The Earth's magnetic field is a natural phenomenon created by the movement of molten iron in the planet's core. It extends from the Earth's interior to the space around it, forming a protective barrier against harmful solar radiation.

2. How is the Earth's magnetic field generated?

The Earth's magnetic field is generated by the movement of molten iron in the outer core of the planet. This movement, known as convection, creates electric currents that in turn produce a magnetic field.

3. What are the effects of the Earth's magnetic field?

The Earth's magnetic field has several important effects. It protects the planet from harmful solar radiation, allowing life to thrive. It also plays a crucial role in navigation for animals and humans, as well as in the functioning of modern technology such as compasses and GPS systems.

4. How does the Earth's magnetic field change over time?

The Earth's magnetic field is not constant and has changed over time. This is due to the dynamic nature of the Earth's core and its convection process. The strength and direction of the magnetic field have been known to reverse in the past, with the most recent reversal occurring around 780,000 years ago.

5. Can the Earth's magnetic field change or disappear completely?

While the Earth's magnetic field is constantly changing, it is unlikely to disappear completely. The convection process in the core that generates the magnetic field is a continuous and ongoing process. However, it is possible for the strength and direction of the field to change, which could have significant effects on navigation and technology on Earth.