1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can someone explain this proccess for expressing limits as an integral?

1. Dec 8, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    My professor gave us this problem:

Convert the limit to an integral:

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow inf} \frac{1}{n}(\sin(\pi/2) + \sin(\pi/2) + ... + \sin(\pi))[/tex]
    he said it was right endpoint from [0,π]
    then he set Δx = [itex]\frac{\pi}{n}[/itex]
    then

[tex] \lim_{n\rightarrow inf} \frac{1}{\pi}(\frac{\pi}{n} \sum_{i=1}^{n} \sin(\frac{i\pi}{n}))[/tex]

[tex] = \frac{1}{\pi} \int\limits_{0}^{\pi}\sin{x}\, dx[/tex]

[tex] = \int\limits_{0}^{1}\sin{x}\, dx [/tex]

I just don't understand how he found Δx as being π/n or how he munipulated the formula to get the limits for the inetgral.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2011 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hi NWeid1! :smile:

It appears that your first formula contains a number of typos, since I think it should match the summation.

Do you know how a (Riemann) integral is actually defined?
    In this case [itex]\int\limits_{0}^{\pi}\sin{x}\, dx[/itex]?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  4. Dec 8, 2011 #3
    Well this is exactly what I have in my notes, and I know the answer is [tex] = \int\limits_{0}^{1}\sin{x}\, dx [/tex]

But I was just writing it down when he was teaching it, I never really understood the process.

5. Dec 8, 2011 #4

I like Serena

Homework Helper

6. Dec 8, 2011 #5
    You mean familiar with the process of converting an integral to a limit? I learned it but that is kind of what I'm asking. The only notes I have on this is what I have above, which I can't understand by the example.

7. Dec 9, 2011 #6

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Well, do you know that an integral is approximated by inscribed rectangles?

Sorry for not explaining more, but I have no clue what you know and do not know.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  8. Dec 9, 2011 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No. Based on what you say below, you want
    [tex]\lim_{n\to \inf} (\frac{1}{n} sin(\pi/n)+ sin(2\pi/n)+ ...+ sin(n\pi/n))[/tex]

Yes, you are dividing the interval from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex] into n equal length sub-intervals so each has length [itex]\pi/n[/itex]. The two endpoints of the first sub-interval are 0 and [itex]\pi/n[/itex], the two endpoinst of the second sub-interval are [itex]\pi/n[/itex] and [itex]2\pi/n[/itex], etc.

So you are approximating the value of sin(x) inside the "i"th sub-interval by its value at the right endpoint, [itex]sin(i\pi/n)[/itex]. And you are approximating the area under the graph of y= sin(x) inside each sub-interval by the area of the rectangle having height [itex]sin(i\pi/n)[/itex] and base [itex]\pi/n[/itex]

Now you make that approximation exact by taking the limit- this limit of the sum will be equal to the area under y= sin(x).

and, of course, the area under the graph is the integral.

The sum goes from [itex]0\pi/n= 0[/itex] to [itex]n\pi/n= \pi[/itex]. That's how he got the limits of integration. And the difference bertween two consecutive value, say [itex]2\pi/n- \pi/n[/itex], or [itex]n\pi/n- (m-1)\pi/n)[/itex] is [itex]\Delta x= \pi/n[/itex] so you are dividing the length, [itex]\pi[/itex] into n equal parts.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  9. Dec 9, 2011 #8

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Heh! What HoI said! :smile:
    (@Hoi: you have way too much spare time! ;)

Just one addition.
    You write:
    [tex] = \frac{1}{\pi} \int\limits_{0}^{\pi}\sin{x}\, dx
    = \int\limits_{0}^{1}\sin{x}\, dx[/tex]
    But this is not true, which you will see if you evaluate the integral.

10. Dec 9, 2011 #9
    Oh, yeah I learned all the riemann sums.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook