Can someone help me here?

• Thread starter JasonRox
  • Start date
shmoe said:
I don't think all extremes of CMYK can be displayed accurately on RGB, though it's worse the other way around- there is a wider range of RGB that you can't produce with CMYK. But it will depend on the devices. See the picture under 'colour gamut' on http://coe.sdsu.edu/eet/Articles/colormanagement/index.htm [Broken] the cmyk range isn't contained in the rgb one.

Photoshop has colour management options to try to get monitor and print to match as closely as possible. There are also monitor calibration tools you can get that suction cup onto your screen as part of the process (can't say I've used one though), like these things http://www.ausmedia.com.au/calibration.htm
I discovered I could calibrate my monitor since windows has a built in color management capability that Paint Shop Pro-X alerted me to. I think all this achieves is to get the monitor closer to the universal parameters that come with Windows. It is only a first step toward squaring the monitor with the printer.

The kit in your second link seems to offer better, systematic, tools for the latter task, but also look like more fiddling than I'm willing to undertake.

My printer produces normal color photos as good as any I used to get from the drugstore from 35mm negatives, so I don't have any complaints about that. The problem arises in how much it alters my colored pencil drawings. It seems to select certain hues at random and either juices them up or washes them out. The more I poke around Paint Shop Pro the more I'm seeing there are already ways to compensate for this. I just have to build up the patience to fiddle with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

JasonRox

Homework Helper
Gold Member
Good news.

The print copy turned out good. I haven't seen it, but the Illustrator liked it. That's good news.

I'll check it out tomorrow in the paper.

DaveC426913

Gold Member
zoobyshoe said:
Regardless of how these colors are created on the monitor, the fact they can be created on it at all makes me wonder why there's no built in program to faithfully imitate the output of a printer that will be using those pigments on paper.
They do. It's called PhotoShop.

You need a professional to calibrate a printer. That is why Graphic designers use professional "printers" (companies that print for you). And they make you "sign" the graphics before you send it to them (rinse them through an application that will make everything compatible and on the same settings as what print shops use), so that they can verify what you sent them wont be or hasnt be changed. its very expensive.

Unfortunately in an earlier life I had to help configure some computers to do all this

turbo

Gold Member
Anttech said:
Use 'The gimp' Its free and as powerful as photoshop, plus you are supporting open source.
I downloaded "The Gimp", the runtime environment, and the user's manual, and the program works very well. I highly recommend it to people who want all the "bells and whistles" but don't want to have to buy Photoshop.

DaveC426913 said:
They do. It's called PhotoShop.
Photoshop isn't built in. It's sold separately, and is expensive.

DaveC426913

Gold Member
zoobyshoe said:
Photoshop isn't built in. It's sold separately, and is expensive.
Well yes, but why would you build something in that only a fraction of people need/use?

As you can see in other posts, calibration is quite complex (and different with every system); you can't simply have factory settings, and to create a system that does it reliably for every (or even most) printers that can be bought at Staples - is impossible.

So, those who need printer calibration get printer calibration software.

DaveC426913 said:
Well yes, but why would you build something in that only a fraction of people need/use?
I should think it would be built into the printers. Once installed the printer should sense the details of your monitor and inform it about what to display accordingly.