Can Someone "Rank" Math Course Progression?

In summary, the typical progression of math classes in high school starts with arithmetic, followed by algebra, geometry, and then precalculus. In college, the ranking and progression of math classes usually include trigonometry, precalculus, and discrete mathematics, followed by calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. After this point, students have the option to specialize in different areas such as topology, number theory, statistics and probability, complex analysis, and partial differential equations. In graduate school, these topics are continued at a more advanced level with the addition of differential geometry. It is recommended to check college or university websites for suggested course sequences, and the courses taken in college may vary depending on the student's interests.
pandaexpress
What I mean is can you list the progression of math classes or subjects that people can take in school based on how they are usually learned or what is more difficult, etc.?

Like right now I'm taking high school Calculus and we had to do Pre-Calculus last year and Geometry and Algebra before that.

But let's say you get to college...then what is the ranking or progression of math classes and subjects people take? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
arithmetic
algebra/geometry
trigonometry
precalculus/discrete mathematics
calculus
linear algebra/differential equations
Real analysis
and then from here it starts to break up as you can go in multiple directions:topology, number theory,statistics and probability, complex analysis, partial differential equations
and then in grad school you still do these topics just at a harder level with differential geometry thrown into the mix

pandaexpress said:
But let's say you get to college...then what is the ranking or progression of math classes and subjects people take?

Check out a few college/university web sites. They often list suggested or recommended course sequences for math majors.

Thanks. I don't remember antyhing called discrete math in my Pre-Calculus class last year though.

I recommend you take a look at MIT OCW, but generally it is like:

Single variable Calculus -> Multivariable Calculus -> Differential Equations (ODEs)
-> Real Analysis -> Complex Analysis
-> Abstract Algebra

After that you have a variety of options and the courses you take depend more on your interest.

I took Real Analysis,Complex Analysis and Abstract Algebra in the same semester and before differential equation.

1. What is the purpose of ranking math course progression?

Ranking math course progression allows for a better understanding of a student's progress and proficiency in different math topics. It can help identify areas of improvement and guide future course selections.

2. How is math course progression ranked?

Math course progression can be ranked based on various factors such as grades, test scores, completion of prerequisite courses, and teacher evaluations. These rankings can be used to determine a student's overall math proficiency.

3. Can ranking math course progression be subjective?

Yes, ranking math course progression can be subjective as it is based on different criteria and can vary depending on the person or organization assigning the rankings. However, using multiple criteria can help minimize subjectivity and provide a more accurate ranking.

4. Is ranking math course progression necessary?

Ranking math course progression is not necessary, but it can provide valuable information about a student's progress and help with future academic planning. It can also be used as a tool for self-evaluation and motivation for students to improve their math skills.

5. How can ranking math course progression benefit students?

Ranking math course progression can benefit students by identifying areas of strength and weakness, providing a sense of accomplishment, and helping with future academic planning. It can also be used as a tool for goal setting and self-improvement in math skills.