Can the 1296 permutation ever be extended?

• Thread starter StaffsLebowski
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Permutation
In summary: Instead you'd have to use 2 numeric digits + 2 hexidecimal digits. This would give you 256 codes per numeric series.In summary, there are a few ways to extend the limit of 1296 unique 2-character codes in the given database. These include using punctuation characters, making the code case sensitive, changing the database to allow more characters in the keys, or converting the input to hexadecimal format. However, it is important to consider the potential complications and limitations of these solutions. It may be wise to fix the database design limitation to avoid potential issues in the future.
StaffsLebowski
Hi everyone,

I have a problem I'm trying to solve. If anybody can help it would be greatly appreciated. (PS: My understanding of maths is so poor I don't even understand the meaning of half the forum titles so please excuse me if I've posted in the wrong section..!)

All the possible 2 character permutations using 0 to 9 and A to Z = 1296. ie:

00, 01, A1, A2, B1 ~ Z0, Z9, ZZ etc, etc..

There is a system here at work where a User has to enter a 2 character code into a database. Of course, we will eventually run out of codes to use. I am trying to determine if it is possible to continue to use a 2 digit Alpha/Numeric character but extend the 1296 limit in some way?

I'm wondering if a lateral shift in thinking can break the 1296 limit. Hopefully, someone from a mathematical bacground can throw some ideas into the mix?

One thought I had was, can 2 characters be used as variables in a calculation to produce a 3rd number? For example, two digits are combined to produce a 3rd number: ie, 23 could be 2 + 3 or 2 * 3 or 2 ^ 3. MZ could be translated as 13 + 26 (ie: 13th and 26th letter of the alphabet)

Another idea is representation. For example, 3/4 can also be represented as 75 (percent). Is there another way to interpret a set of values?

I understand that the database can be altered to allow more charcaters but for many reasons, this is a very last resort. I also appreciate it was short-sighted of the database designer to only allow 2 characters in the first place, but we are where we are..

Any thoughts greatly appreciated, many thanks,

StaffsLebowski.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Using the 36 symbols, 0, 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, A, B, C, ..., Z, yes, we can have [itex]36^2= 1296[/itex] pairings. To extend it just make up new symbols- if you have n symbols, you will have [itex]n^2[/itex] symbols.

StaffsLebowski said:
Hi everyone,

I have a problem I'm trying to solve. If anybody can help it would be greatly appreciated. (PS: My understanding of maths is so poor I don't even understand the meaning of half the forum titles so please excuse me if I've posted in the wrong section..!)

All the possible 2 character permutations using 0 to 9 and A to Z = 1296. ie:

00, 01, A1, A2, B1 ~ Z0, Z9, ZZ etc, etc..

There is a system here at work where a User has to enter a 2 character code into a database. Of course, we will eventually run out of codes to use. I am trying to determine if it is possible to continue to use a 2 digit Alpha/Numeric character but extend the 1296 limit in some way?

I'm wondering if a lateral shift in thinking can break the 1296 limit. Hopefully, someone from a mathematical bacground can throw some ideas into the mix?

One thought I had was, can 2 characters be used as variables in a calculation to produce a 3rd number? For example, two digits are combined to produce a 3rd number: ie, 23 could be 2 + 3 or 2 * 3 or 2 ^ 3. MZ could be translated as 13 + 26 (ie: 13th and 26th letter of the alphabet)

Another idea is representation. For example, 3/4 can also be represented as 75 (percent). Is there another way to interpret a set of values?

I understand that the database can be altered to allow more charcaters but for many reasons, this is a very last resort. I also appreciate it was short-sighted of the database designer to only allow 2 characters in the first place, but we are where we are..

Any thoughts greatly appreciated, many thanks,

StaffsLebowski.

You can use the punctuation characters to extend the character set but may have to be careful about certain ones like quote and double quote and possibly ` and \ causing problems. Issues you may find in using punctuation includes general code confusion by your database users when they see something like "3," and think its really "3".

If I were you, I'd seriously consider getting this design limitation fixed. It can only bite you later on when you least afford it.

Are you using a SQL database? or is this some kind of custom built database?

For SQL there are tools to backup the database and migrate to a new schema (tables and column descriptions).Depending on the vendor, there are SQL commands to extend a given column to accept more characters. You'd still need to review/change your programs that access the database.

This reminds me of the Y2K dilemma of a few years ago where people were trying to finagle their old databases to handle larger dates by doing a rolling type of date and essentially kicking the can down the road a bit.

StaffsLebowski said:
I'm wondering if a lateral shift in thinking can break the 1296 limit.
Any mathematical operations would just change the values, but you'd still be stuck with 1296 unique values. Could you make this case sensitive so that lower case letters are different than upper case letters? This would extend the number of values to (10+26+26)^2 = 62^2 = 3844.

The other option as mentioned above is to change the database so that the keys have more characters, such as 4, resulting in 36^4 = 1679616 unique keys.

rcgldr said:
Any mathematical operations would just change the values, but you'd still be stuck with 1296 unique values. Could you make this case sensitive so that lower case letters are different than upper case letters? This would extend the number of values to (10+26+26)^2 = 62^2 = 3844.

The other option as mentioned above is to change the database so that the keys have more characters, such as 4, resulting in 36^4 = 1679616 unique keys.

if the database allotted only two characters then with the proper input conversion, the enduser cuold use hexidecimal code instead of a two character code. this would eliminate the danger of adding the punctuation into the mix.

If the characters are stored as ASCII (ie 8-bits per character) then that would allow for a 4 digit hexidecimal code: 0000 ... FFFF -or- over 32000 possible choices.

However the existing code scheme would have to be revamped or remapped to hexidecimal input format ie You could no longer have a code containing the letters G-Z or g-z.

1. Can the 1296 permutation ever be extended?

It depends on what you mean by "extended." If you are referring to adding additional elements to the permutation, then yes, it can be extended. However, if you are asking if the permutation can be extended to include all possible combinations, then no, it cannot. The 1296 permutation is a specific arrangement of elements and cannot be extended beyond that.

2. How many elements are in the 1296 permutation?

The 1296 permutation has 1296 elements, as the name suggests. This is because it is a permutation of 6 elements, which can be arranged in 6! (6 factorial) ways. 6! = 6 x 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 720. Since the permutation also includes the inverse of each arrangement, the total number of elements is 720 x 2 = 1296.

3. Is the 1296 permutation a common permutation used in science?

The 1296 permutation is not a commonly used permutation in science. It is a relatively small permutation compared to others that can represent larger sets of data or arrangements. However, it may be used in specific scientific studies or experiments that involve a small number of elements.

4. Can the 1296 permutation be represented in a mathematical equation?

Yes, the 1296 permutation can be represented in a mathematical equation. It can be written as P(6,6) = 6! = 720, where P(n,r) represents the permutation of n objects taken r at a time. It can also be represented using factorials, as 6! x 2 = 1296.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the 1296 permutation?

While the 1296 permutation may not be commonly used in science, it does have real-life applications. For example, it can be used in computer programming to generate random combinations or in cryptography to create unique codes. It can also be used in games or puzzles that involve arranging a small number of elements in different ways.