Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can the force exerted by 2 magnets be used to turn a windmil

Tags:
  1. Apr 6, 2015 #1
    Hi, this is my first time on the forums and i'm sorry if this is in the wrong place. I was wondering if I got a windmill and 2 rare earth magnets can I stick one magnet to the blade of the fan and then use the other magnet to push the windmill to generate electricity? -Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2015 #2
    oops i meant wind turbine not a windmill lol sorry bout that

4. Apr 6, 2015 #3

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Hi ArcticWolf 11 welcome to PF!

I am not certain exactly what you are asking. I am not sure if you are asking if a wind turbine could be formed using a permanent magnet for both the rotor and the stator, or if you are asking about a perpetual motion machine.

If the first, then you need at least one of either the rotor or the stator to be a coil rather than a permanent magnet so that you can get a loop for the current to flow through.

If the second, then you should be aware that perpetual motion machines are a banned topic here.

5. Apr 6, 2015 #4
    oh.. i didn't know they were banned, and why are they a banned topic here? -sorry :(

6. Apr 7, 2015 #5

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

perpetual motion machine discussions are banned because they are not physically possible

if you are not talking about something that is self powering, then explain more clearly what you were thinking about :smile:

cheers
    Dave

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook