Can the force exerted by 2 magnets be used to turn a windmil

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter ArcticWolf_11
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Force Magnets Power
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
ArcticWolf_11
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hi, this is my first time on the forums and I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place. I was wondering if I got a windmill and 2 rare Earth magnets can I stick one magnet to the blade of the fan and then use the other magnet to push the windmill to generate electricity? -Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
oops i meant wind turbine not a windmill lol sorry bout that
 
Hi ArcticWolf 11 welcome to PF!

I am not certain exactly what you are asking. I am not sure if you are asking if a wind turbine could be formed using a permanent magnet for both the rotor and the stator, or if you are asking about a perpetual motion machine.

If the first, then you need at least one of either the rotor or the stator to be a coil rather than a permanent magnet so that you can get a loop for the current to flow through.

If the second, then you should be aware that perpetual motion machines are a banned topic here.
 
oh.. i didn't know they were banned, and why are they a banned topic here? -sorry :(
 
ArcticWolf_11 said:
oh.. i didn't know they were banned, and why are they a banned topic here? -sorry :(

perpetual motion machine discussions are banned because they are not physically possible

if you are not talking about something that is self powering, then explain more clearly what you were thinking about :smile:cheers
Dave