Can the Root Function Solve Inequalities?

In summary, root function inequality is a mathematical concept that involves inequalities with roots, such as square root or cube root. It differs from regular inequality in that it involves variables within a root expression and the solution is a range of values rather than a single value. The steps to solve a root function inequality include simplifying the expression, isolating the root, raising both sides to a power, solving the resulting inequality, and checking the solution. Common mistakes when solving root function inequalities include not simplifying, forgetting to raise both sides to a power, and misinterpreting the solution. In the real world, root function inequalities can be applied in finance, engineering, and other situations where the solution is a range of values.
lfdahl
Gold Member
MHB
Suppose, that $f(x)=ax^2+bx+c$, where $a$,$b$ and $c$ are positive real numbers. Show, that for all non-negative real numbers $x_1,x_2,…,x_{1024}$

\[\sqrt[1024]{f(x_1)\cdot f(x_2)\cdot \cdot \cdot f(x_{1024})} \geq f\left ( \sqrt[1024]{x_1\cdot x_2\cdot \cdot \cdot x_{1024}} \right )\]

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hint:

It might be of use first to show, that
\[f(x)\cdot f(y)\geq \left (f\left ( \sqrt{xy} \right ) \right )^2\]

Suggested solution:

Let us show, that for all $x,y > 0$

\[f(x)\cdot f(y)\geq \left (f\left ( \sqrt{xy} \right ) \right )^2 \;\;\; (1)\]

Indeed,

\[f(x)\cdot f(y) - \left (f\left ( \sqrt{xy} \right ) \right )^2 = ab(x^2y+xy^2-2xy\sqrt{xy})+ac(x^2+y^2-2xy)+bc(x+y-2\sqrt{xy}) \\\\ =abxy(\sqrt{x}-\sqrt{y})^2+ac(x-y)^2+bc(\sqrt{x}-\sqrt{y})^2 \geq 0.\]

Now by $(1)$

\[f(x_1)f(x_2)...f(x_{1024})\geq \prod_{i=1,3,5,…}^{1023}\left ( f\left ( \sqrt{x_i\; x_{i+1}} \right ) \right )^2 \geq \prod_{i=1,5,9,…}^{1021}\left ( f\left ( \sqrt[4]{x_i\;x_{i+1}\; x_{i+2}\; x_{i+3}} \right ) \right )^4 \geq ...\geq \left ( f \left ( \sqrt[1024]{x_1x_2...x_{1024}} \right ) \right )^{1024}\]

The required inequality readily follows.

Last edited:
lfdahl said:
Suggested solution:

Let us show, that for all $x,y > 0$

\[f(x)\cdot f(y)\geq \left (f\left ( \sqrt{xy} \right ) \right )^2 \;\;\; (1)\]

Indeed,

\[f(x)\cdot f(y) - \left (f\left ( \sqrt{xy} \right ) \right )^2 = ab(x^2y+xy^2-2xy\sqrt{xy})+ac(x^2+y^2-2xy)+bc(x+y-2\sqrt{xy}) \\\\ =abxy(\sqrt{x}-\sqrt{y})^2+ac(x-y)^2+bc(\sqrt{x}-\sqrt{y})^2 \geq 0.\]

Now by $(1)$

\[f(x_1)f(x_2)...f(x_{1024})\geq \prod_{i=1}^{1023}\left ( f\left ( \sqrt{x_i\; x_{i+1}} \right ) \right )^2 \geq \prod_{i=1}^{1021}\left ( f\left ( \sqrt{x_i\;x_{i+1}\; x_{i+2}\; x_{i+3}} \right ) \right )^2 \geq ...\geq f\left ( \left ( \sqrt{x_1x_2...x_{1024}} \right ) \right )^{1024}\]

The required inequality readily follows.
in my humble opinion in the 1st product i change by 2 in the 2nd by 4 so on (this is not depicted in expression) and the 1st power is 2 in second 4 so on

kaliprasad said:
in my humble opinion in the 1st product i change by 2 in the 2nd by 4 so on (this is not depicted in expression) and the 1st power is 2 in second 4 so on

Thankyou, kaliprasad, for pointing out the errors in the suggested solution.(Handshake)
I´m sorry for having posted a solution with severe typos.(Sadface)

Related to Can the Root Function Solve Inequalities?

1. What is root function inequality?

Root function inequality is a mathematical concept that involves inequalities with roots. It is a type of inequality that includes variables within a root expression, such as square root, cube root, etc. The solution to a root function inequality is a range of values, rather than a single value.

2. How is root function inequality different from regular inequality?

Root function inequality differs from regular inequality in that it involves roots of variables. Regular inequality only involves variables raised to a power, such as x^2 or x^3. Additionally, the solution to a regular inequality is a single value, while the solution to a root function inequality is a range of values.

3. What are the steps to solve a root function inequality?

The steps to solve a root function inequality are as follows:

1. Simplify the expression inside the root, if possible.
  2. Isolate the root on one side of the inequality.
  3. Raise both sides of the inequality to a power that cancels out the root.
  4. Solve the resulting inequality.
  5. Check the solution by plugging it back into the original inequality.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving root function inequalities?

Some common mistakes when solving root function inequalities include:

• Not simplifying the expression inside the root before isolating it.
  • Forgetting to raise both sides of the inequality to a power.
  • Not checking the solution by plugging it back into the original inequality.
  • Misinterpreting the solution as a single value instead of a range of values.

5. How can root function inequalities be applied in the real world?

Root function inequalities can be used to solve real-world problems involving variables raised to a root. For example, in finance, root function inequalities can be used to determine the range of possible interest rates that would result in a certain amount of compound interest. In engineering, they can be used to calculate the range of possible values for a variable in a system with a given tolerance. In general, root function inequalities can be applied in any situation where the solution is a range of values rather than a single value.