Can Two Different Base Representations of an Integer Prove It is Unique?

In summary, the conversation discusses the representation of integers in different bases and the uniqueness of such representations. It is shown that if two different representations are given, they must have a non-zero difference. This is proven without using Theorem 1-3, which states the existence and uniqueness of such representations.
sty2004
base representation please help~

It is known that if asks+as-1ks-1+...+a0 is a representation of n to the base k, then 0<n<=ks+1-1.

Now suppose n=asks+as-1ks-1+...+a0 and m=btkt+bt-1kt-1+...+b0 with as,bt not equal to 0, are two different representations of n and m to base k, respectively. Without loss of generality we may assume t>=s. Without using Theorem 1-3(existance and uniqueness of such representation of an integer), prove directly that m not equal to n.

Many many thanks~~~

Physics news on Phys.org

We consider the difference :
[tex]D = m-n = c_tk^t + c_{t-1}k^{t-1} + ... + c_0[/tex]
Where [tex]c_i = b_i - a_i[/tex] ( [tex]i[/tex] from [tex]1[/tex] to [tex]t[/tex], and [tex]a_i = 0[/tex] if [tex] i > s[/tex])

Due to the fact that [tex]a_sa_{s-1}...a_1[/tex] and [tex]b_tb_{t-1}...b_1[/tex] are two different representations, [tex]c_i[/tex] must not equal to 0 for every i, otherwise [tex]a_i = b_i[/tex] for all [tex]i[/tex].

Choose [tex]j[/tex] is the largest number such that [tex]c_j[/tex] is different from
If [tex]c_j > 0[/tex],then:
[tex]D >= k^j -(k-1)(k^{j-1} + ... 1) = k^j -(k^j-1) = 1 >0[/tex]
If [tex]c_j < 0[/tex], similarly [tex]-D > 0[/tex]

We always have [tex]D[/tex] different from 0

Good luck.

Related to Can Two Different Base Representations of an Integer Prove It is Unique?

1. What is base representation?

Base representation is a method of expressing numbers using a specific base or system of counting. The base determines the number of digits used and the value attributed to each digit. The most commonly used base is base 10, also known as the decimal system, which uses 10 digits (0-9) to represent all numbers. Other bases include binary (base 2), octal (base 8), and hexadecimal (base 16).

2. How is base representation used in computer science?

In computer science, base representation is important for representing and manipulating data. Different bases can be used to store and transmit data more efficiently, depending on the type of data and the operations being performed on it. For example, binary is commonly used to represent and perform operations on binary data (such as machine code), while hexadecimal is often used for representing memory addresses.

3. What is the significance of the base in base representation?

The base in base representation determines the number of digits used to represent a number and the value of each digit. For example, in base 10, each digit represents a power of 10 (1, 10, 100, etc.), while in base 2, each digit represents a power of 2 (1, 2, 4, etc.). The base also determines the range of numbers that can be represented, with larger bases allowing for larger numbers to be represented.

4. How can I convert a number from one base to another?

To convert a number from one base to another, you can use a variety of methods such as manual calculation, using a conversion table, or using a calculator or computer program. The general process involves breaking down the number into its individual digits, multiplying each digit by its corresponding power of the base, and then adding up the results to get the converted number.

5. What are the advantages of using different bases in mathematics and computer science?

Using different bases allows for more efficient representation and manipulation of data. In mathematics, different bases can be used to simplify calculations and solve problems in different fields such as algebra and number theory. In computer science, different bases are used to represent and perform operations on data in a more efficient manner, which can improve the speed and accuracy of computer programs.