Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can u-substitution be described as a Jacobian?

1. Feb 7, 2012 #1

Char. Limit

Gold Member

So u-substitution is used to make an effective change of variables in one-dimensional calculus. Jacobian determinants are used to make a change of variables in two or higher-dimensional calculus. Can a u-substitution be thought of as a one-dimensional Jacobian determinant?

And on an entirely unrelated note, does anyone know how to make vertical dots in matrix? I was going to draw out the Jacobian determinant, but I couldn't figure that out.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2012 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can think of it as the determinant of a 1x1 Jacobian matrix if you want. But apart from telling you that single-variable calculus is consistent with multiple-variable calculus, I'm not sure what that buys you.

\vdots.

4. Feb 7, 2012 #3

Char. Limit

Gold Member

It's always nice to know that things are consistent between the two areas, though. Thanks!

5. Feb 7, 2012 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What kind of "vertical dots"?? And did you type "matrix" instead of "LaTeX"??

6. Feb 7, 2012 #5

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Typo, and, well, ellipses, but vertical, not horizontal. Like this:

[tex]\vdots[/tex]

7. Feb 7, 2012 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Did you just answer your own question?? :rofl: Yes, vdots is the way to type vertical ellipses. And ddots is the way to type diagonal ellipses.

8. Feb 7, 2012 #7

Char. Limit

Gold Member

I got vdots from AlephZero above, and ddots from you! Now I can type out n-size matrices!

9. Feb 7, 2012 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Oh, how did I miss that??

Also, don't forget hdots which is a nice way to type ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook