Can var(x+y) Be Less Than or Equal to 2(var(x) + var(y))?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter kbilsback5
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Inequality Proof
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
kbilsback5
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi, I was hoping that someone might be able to please help me with this proof.

Prove that var(x+y) ≤ 2(var(x) + var(y)).

So far I have:

var(x+y) = var(x) + var(y) + 2cov(x,y)

where the cov(x,y) = E(xy) - E(x)E(y), but I'm not really sure to go from there.
Any insight would be very helpful!

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Let [itex]\alpha=var(x),\beta=var(y),\gamma=cov(x,y)[/itex]. According to the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauchy%E2%80%93Schwarz_inequality for the proof), [itex]\gamma^{2}\leq{}\alpha\beta[/itex]. We want to show [itex]\alpha{}+\beta{}+2\gamma\leq{}2(\alpha{}+\beta)[/itex], which follows directly from

[itex]2\gamma\leq{}2(\gamma^{2})^{\frac{1}{2}}\leq{}2(\alpha\beta)^{\frac{1}{2}}\leq{}2(\frac{\alpha{}+\beta}{2})\leq{}\alpha{}+\beta[/itex]

where [itex](\alpha\beta)^{\frac{1}{2}}\leq{}\frac{\alpha{}+\beta}{2}[/itex] follows from the well-known fact that the geometric mean is always smaller than the arithmetic mean (see http://www.cut-the-knot.org/pythagoras/corollary.shtml for proof).