Can water vapor go directly into a solid

In summary, water vapor can go directly from a gas to a solid state if the atmospheric pressure is below 0.006 atm and the temperature is low enough. This process is known as sublimation and can be seen in phenomena such as frost and snow. Other elements such as mercury can also go through this process. The temperature and partial pressure of water in the air play a crucial role in determining if water will go directly to a solid or a liquid state.
NathanielBarnhill
If water vapor is pulled inwards and cooled at a fast enough rate could if be frozen back into a solid form? i understand that they would have to be froze together as soon as contact is made but if this is possible what would the temperature have to be? And could this be the only thing that can directly go from a gas to a solid?

Physics news on Phys.org
62C2604A-2198-404D-AABD-AF92BBBACB6B-23497-000012CD48048D7E.jpeg

This graph should help you out. Of course, for water to freeze to a solid state it has be at 0* Celsius but that’s just half the puzzle. The atmospheric pressure has to be below 0.006 atm for it to go directly to a solid state instead of it at its triple point (where its solid, liquid, and gas phase all exist!).

Attachments

• 62C2604A-2198-404D-AABD-AF92BBBACB6B-23497-000012CD48048D7E.jpeg
    62C2604A-2198-404D-AABD-AF92BBBACB6B-23497-000012CD48048D7E.jpeg
    22.7 KB · Views: 1,048
So if the vapor pressure is low enough, water can go directly from the vapor phase to the solid phase. Isn't this what we call frost?

HRubss said:
The atmospheric pressure has to be below 0.006 atm for it to go directly to a solid state instead of it at its triple point (where its solid, liquid, and gas phase all exist!).
If the partial pressure is below the line delineating the solid phase and the temperature is below the triple point then I read the diagram to indicate that the equilibrium state will be as vapor. The net activity at a hypothetical solid/vapor interface would be sublimation from solid to vapor, not the reverse.

On the other hand, if the partial pressure were above 0.006 atm and the temperature is low enough that the liquid phase is avoided then the equilibrium state will be as solid. The net activity at a hypothetical solid/vapor interface would be condensation from vapor directly to solid.

Water vapor directly to a solid is snow. Also frost as discussed above. I just cleared 8 inches of the stuff off my driveway yesterday.

Solid water directly to vapor can also be seen as a thin layer of ice on the driveway that disappears without melting over several days of below freezing weather.

Google dry ice maker for ways to make dry ice (solid carbon dioxide) directly from a tank of liquid carbon dioxide.

Google phase diagram mercury to find a phase diagram that shows mercury also going directly from vapor to solid, and the reverse. I expect that (some, many, most - help me out here) elements are capable of condensing directly from vapor to solid, and sublimating from solid to vapor.

HRubss said:
The atmospheric pressure has to be below 0.006 atm for it to go directly to a solid state
That's not correct. It just has to be cold (< 0.01C), and the partial pressure of water in the air needs to be above the line between solid and vapor. The colder it gets, frost can appear at lower absolute humidity.

Edit: I think it might actually have to be colder than around 0C, where the solid liquid curve hits 1 atm.

Last edited:
Likes jbriggs444

1. Can water vapor turn directly into ice?

Yes, water vapor can go directly into a solid state, which is known as deposition. This process occurs when the temperature of the water vapor drops below 0 degrees Celsius, causing it to turn into ice without first becoming a liquid.

2. Is deposition the same as freezing?

No, deposition and freezing are two different processes. Freezing is the process of liquid water turning into ice, while deposition is when water vapor turns directly into ice.

3. What factors affect the likelihood of water vapor turning into a solid?

The main factor that affects deposition is temperature. Water vapor needs to reach a temperature below 0 degrees Celsius in order to turn directly into ice. Other factors such as air pressure and humidity can also play a role in the likelihood of deposition occurring.

4. Can water vapor only turn into ice?

No, water vapor can also turn directly into other solid forms such as frost, snow, or hail. The type of solid formed depends on the specific conditions of temperature, air pressure, and humidity.

5. What are some real-life examples of water vapor turning directly into a solid?

Some examples of deposition in nature include the formation of frost on cold surfaces, the formation of snowflakes in the atmosphere, and the creation of icicles on buildings or trees. Artificial examples of deposition include dry ice (frozen carbon dioxide) and freeze-dried food.