Can we produce magnetic field from stationary charge?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 4K views
Ahsan Khan
Messages
270
Reaction score
5
Dear all, I know the sources of magnetic field are moving charges or varying electric field. I also know that subatomic particles(even neutron) have their own magnetic moment due to its quark and spin and their magnetic moment is explained by invoking quantum mechanics(though I don't know how because to be true I do not have detailed knowledge of the subject of quantum mechanics). However my question is not about the intrinsic magnetic moments of subatomic charge particles but about some charge at rest. Suppose I have a charge particle at some point in space and I can say at some other point in space there is an electric field that's fine. Now my question is can I get a magnetic field at some point due to this charge without making the charge in motion?

Regards
 
Physics news on Phys.org
mfb said:
No.

You need motion, time-dependent electric fields, or the spin of particles to have magnetic fields.
Thank you :)
 
mfb said:
No.

You need motion, time-dependent electric fields, or the spin of particles to have magnetic fields.
One more thing to ask, Isn't there a way to produce time-varing electric field without moving the very charge?
 
I am not sure but believe that if a charged particle is stationary in an oscillating (e.g. sinusoidal) gravitational field then it will radiate.

At least that is what the principle of equivalence predicts.

In any case take any radiating particle. You can always observe it from within its rest frame. I believe it will still radiate.
 
Justintruth said:
In any case take any radiating particle. You can always observe it from within its rest frame. I believe it will still radiate.
That rest frame is not an inertial frame then.

If charged particles following geodesics radiate (e. g. if they make a hyperbolic orbit around a star) is still discussed.
 
Justintruth said:
I am not sure but believe that if a charged particle is stationary in an oscillating (e.g. sinusoidal) gravitational field then it will radiate.

At least that is what the principle of equivalence predicts.

In any case take any radiating particle. You can always observe it from within its rest frame. I believe it will still radiate.

It will not, it does not, and it will not.