Can we receive monozygotic (identical) twins in apes?

• Thread starter Eagle9
  • Start date
In summary, the possibility of creating monozygotic twins in apes, specifically chimpanzees or bonobos, through methods such as IVF or hormonal intervention is unknown. While it has been successful in other animals like sheep, further research and consultation with experts would be needed to determine the feasibility of this process in apes.
Eagle9
Hello again :oldsmile:

Let’s assume that for some scientific reasons we need to have monozygotic (identical) twins in apes, for example in chimpanzee or bonobo.

So I take egg-cell from female, fertilize it with spermatozoon and receive zygote and it (more precisely morula) later can be implanted in female, an ordinary In vitro fertilization (but in animals) actually.

But before implanting I can cut morula in two (or more) pieces very carefully. Each part now is independent morula, both parts contain only undifferentiated cells and I can implant both of them in female and it will give birth to identical twins, this can be done?

Or perhaps there is another way? Can we give some chemical substance (hormone maybe?) to female ape just after/before female has sex with male ape? Can such substance in principle cause the zygote/morula to divide in two parts/twins? :oldeyes:

Biology news on Phys.org
That's an interesting question! I'm not sure if it's possible to create monozygotic twins in apes through the methods you mentioned, but I do know that it is possible for other animals like sheep. There are certain hormones and proteins that can be used to induce twinning in animals. For example, a hormone called PZP (porcine zona pellucida) has been used with some success to induce twinning in sheep. However, I'm not sure if the same process would work in chimpanzees or bonobos. You might want to do some more research on the subject or consult with a veterinarian or scientist who specializes in animal reproduction.

1. Can apes have identical twins?

Yes, apes can have identical twins, also known as monozygotic twins. However, the occurrence of identical twins is rare in apes, with only a few documented cases in captivity.

2. How do monozygotic twins occur in apes?

Monozygotic twins occur when a single fertilized egg splits into two embryos. This can happen spontaneously during early development or can be induced by external factors such as fertility treatments.

3. Are monozygotic twins more common in humans than in apes?

Yes, monozygotic twins are more common in humans than in apes. In humans, approximately 3-4 out of every 1000 births are monozygotic twins, while in apes, the occurrence is much lower.

4. Do identical twins in apes look exactly the same?

Identical twins in apes may look similar, but they are not always identical in appearance. Just like in humans, identical twins can have slight physical differences due to environmental factors and epigenetics.

5. Can monozygotic twins in apes have different personalities?

Yes, monozygotic twins in apes can have different personalities. While they may share the same genetic makeup, their personalities can be influenced by their individual experiences and environments.