Can we receive monozygotic (identical) twins in apes?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Eagle9
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
1 reply · 1K views
Eagle9
Messages
238
Reaction score
10
Hello again :oldsmile:

Let’s assume that for some scientific reasons we need to have monozygotic (identical) twins in apes, for example in chimpanzee or bonobo.

So I take egg-cell from female, fertilize it with spermatozoon and receive zygote and it (more precisely morula) later can be implanted in female, an ordinary In vitro fertilization (but in animals) actually.

But before implanting I can cut morula in two (or more) pieces very carefully. Each part now is independent morula, both parts contain only undifferentiated cells and I can implant both of them in female and it will give birth to identical twins, this can be done?

Or perhaps there is another way? Can we give some chemical substance (hormone maybe?) to female ape just after/before female has sex with male ape? Can such substance in principle cause the zygote/morula to divide in two parts/twins? :oldeyes:
 
Biology news on Phys.org
That's an interesting question! I'm not sure if it's possible to create monozygotic twins in apes through the methods you mentioned, but I do know that it is possible for other animals like sheep. There are certain hormones and proteins that can be used to induce twinning in animals. For example, a hormone called PZP (porcine zona pellucida) has been used with some success to induce twinning in sheep. However, I'm not sure if the same process would work in chimpanzees or bonobos. You might want to do some more research on the subject or consult with a veterinarian or scientist who specializes in animal reproduction.