Voltage Regulation for three phase Dzn Transformer

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the voltage regulation of a 3 ph Dzn transformer and determining the current relationships for a Dzn transformer, as well as the use of P.U. values for Positive Sequence Impedance Resistance and Reactance in the regulation equation. It also briefly mentions the use of a zig-zag winding connection and the possibility of zero sequence impedance in an asymmetrical 3 phase system.
Physicist3
Hi,

I need to calculate the voltage regulation of the 3 ph Dzn transformer. I have knowledge of the current going into the primary winding of the transformer (Delta winding) and hence need to calculate the current in the secondary (load current) so that I can use this in the voltage regulation calculations. I am unsure of the current relationships for a Dzn transformer, are they the same as for a Delta - Star transformer (Dyn)? Also, for the voltage regulation, I have P.U. values of Positive Sequence Impedance Resistance and Reactance. Are these the values that I should convert into actual values and then use in the regulation equation, or do I use Zero sequence values as I have them also?

Physicist3 said:
I am unsure of the current relationships for a Dzn transformer, are they the same as for a Delta - Star transformer (Dyn)?
I hope this helps..

This grabbed my curiosity because we had a zig-zag connected generator in our rod drive system.

This article shows how the windings are connected
http://electrical-engineering-portal.com/zigzag-transformer-connection-overview

zizag-transformer-coil-connections.gif
i'd think a carefully made phasor diagram would answer your current relationship question
though I've never done that particular one.

In zigzag winding connection, LV winding is split in two equal equal parts on two different legs.
This gives secondary phase voltage: V2=2⋅Vz⋅cos 30° (see phasor diagram in Jim's post)
Physicist3 said:
Also, for the voltage regulation, I have P.U. values of Positive Sequence Impedance Resistance and Reactance. Are these the values that I should convert into actual values and then use in the regulation equation, or do I use Zero sequence values as I have them also?
In a balanced 3 phase system you don't need zero sequence impedance.
Zero sequence component can appear only in the case of asymmetry, if the sum of currents in the phases is not 0.

1. What is three phase Dzn transformer voltage regulation?

Three phase Dzn transformer voltage regulation is the process of maintaining a consistent output voltage level for a three phase transformer. This is achieved by adjusting the transformer's internal components, such as the tap changer, to compensate for changes in input voltage or load demands.

2. How does voltage regulation affect transformer performance?

Voltage regulation directly impacts the performance of a transformer by ensuring a stable output voltage. If the voltage regulation is not properly maintained, it can lead to fluctuations in the output voltage, which can damage equipment connected to the transformer.

3. What is the ideal voltage regulation for a three phase Dzn transformer?

The ideal voltage regulation for a three phase Dzn transformer is typically within 1-2%, meaning the output voltage should not vary more than 1-2% from the rated voltage. This ensures the most efficient and reliable operation of the transformer.

4. How is voltage regulation tested for a three phase Dzn transformer?

Voltage regulation is typically tested by applying a rated voltage to the transformer and measuring the output voltage under different load conditions. The difference between the output voltage and the rated voltage is the voltage regulation.

5. What factors can affect voltage regulation for a three phase Dzn transformer?

Several factors can affect voltage regulation for a three phase Dzn transformer, including changes in input voltage, load demands, and the condition of the transformer's internal components. Temperature, humidity, and other environmental factors can also impact voltage regulation.