What gadget could you not live without?

  • Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • #1
wolram
Gold Member
4,260
554

Main Question or Discussion Point

Which one could you not do without ? at home mine is a swiss army knife,
at work it is my terminal screw driver that lights up when a circuit is live, can
test a fuse, and even lights up by micro waves.
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
221
0
But tester, Fluke wire tester, Mcafee sniffer, and my laptop...
 
  • #3
SpaceTiger
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2,940
2
I dunno if this qualifies as a gadget, but the only technology I'm really dependent upon is the computer. I barely even use my phone anymore.
 
  • #4
wolram
Gold Member
4,260
554
SpaceTiger said:
I dunno if this qualifies as a gadget, but the only technology I'm really dependent upon is the computer. I barely even use my phone anymore.
I guess a computer is a gaddget, but you should phone friends :smile:
 
  • #5
1,134
7
My Gerber multi-tool, I seem to use it several times a week.
 
  • #6
wolram
Gold Member
4,260
554
hypatia said:
My Gerber multi-tool, I seem to use it several times a week.
I can not resist, what is a Gerber multi tool ? :smile:
 
  • #7
JamesU
Gold Member
750
3
is Google a gaddget?
 
  • #8
SpaceTiger
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2,940
2
wolram said:
I guess a computer is a gaddget, but you should phone friends :smile:
Why? Most of them have computers as well, so I can easily contact them that way. Besides, many of them are right down the hall. :smile:
 
  • #9
1,134
7
http://www.gerber-tools.com/Gerber-Multi-Plier-600-Pro-Scout-needlenose-07563.htm" [Broken]mine is here
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #10
Danger
Gold Member
9,608
244
There are none that I couldn't do without, because so many of them overlap in uses. If I had to pick only one to keep, it would probably be 10" ViseGrips w/ wire-cutter insert. (Unless you count the toilet as a 'gadget'.)
 
  • #11
67
165
Danger said:
There are none that I couldn't do without, because so many of them overlap in uses. If I had to pick only one to keep, it would probably be 10" ViseGrips w/ wire-cutter insert. (Unless you count the toilet as a 'gadget'.)
There are gadgets for toilets:

http://www.sandman.com/intimst.html
 
  • #12
6,265
1,275
hypatia said:
http://www.gerber-tools.com/Gerber-Multi-Plier-600-Pro-Scout-needlenose-07563.htm" [Broken]mine is here
That's some very cool stuff. Bit pricey, though. That's the sort of tool that should be automatically included in any life raft, tethered to the raft so you can't drop it in the drink. I've read several accounts of people having to take to the rafts and they always find they don't have the tools to do important things. Fishing gear should be another staple: lines, lures, spears and nets.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #13
a lighter - if this is a crude gadget, then it is a must for me. (at least its better than a match or two sets of stones..hahaha!)

....and GOD said let there be light :)
 
  • #14
500
0
Mechanical pencils (specifically with .5mm sized graphite) have got to be one of the best inventions ever.
 
  • #15
1,134
7
I got mine as a gift a few years ago, its really lasted well for the punnishment I give it.
 
  • #16
wolram
Gold Member
4,260
554
yomamma said:
is Google a gaddget?
No, it is more like an extension of your body :smile:
 
  • #17
DocToxyn
Science Advisor
424
0
hypatia said:
I got mine as a gift a few years ago, its really lasted well for the punnishment I give it.
I've had mine going on 10+ years and despite what I've put it through, it's still going. A few holes in the belt pouch, but it hasn't dropped it yet.
Perhaps https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=70351&highlight=gerber"should be linked here.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #18
6,265
1,275
LED Flashlight

I just bought one. I'm impressed. After all, it's just eight little LED's.
 
  • #19
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
9,970
131
My coffee maker.
In addition, mastering its subtle technology is a daily challenge I am occasionally up to.
 
  • #20
Danger
Gold Member
9,608
244
  • #21
Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
1,789
10
After casette tapes, floppy disks, 2.5" diskettes, Zip drives, and even CD-R's, I love more than anything my 1Gig Sandisk flash memory stick.

Notice how I did not say "punch cards." I'm not THAT old.
 
  • #22
Danger
Gold Member
9,608
244
Chi Meson said:
Notice how I did not say "punch cards." I'm not THAT old.
:grumpy: ..
 

Related Threads for: What gadget could you not live without?

  • Last Post
3
Replies
56
Views
10K
  • Last Post
Replies
18
Views
31K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
30
Views
1K
Replies
20
Views
7K
  • Poll
  • Last Post
3
Replies
50
Views
6K
Replies
73
Views
9K
  • Poll
  • Last Post
Replies
5
Views
11K
Top