What gadget could you not live without?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
wolram
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

Which one could you not do without ? at home mine is a swiss army knife,
at work it is my terminal screw driver that lights up when a circuit is live, can
test a fuse, and even lights up by micro waves.

Answers and Replies

But tester, Fluke wire tester, Mcafee sniffer, and my laptop...

SpaceTiger
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I dunno if this qualifies as a gadget, but the only technology I'm really dependent upon is the computer. I barely even use my phone anymore.

wolram
Gold Member
SpaceTiger said:
I dunno if this qualifies as a gadget, but the only technology I'm really dependent upon is the computer. I barely even use my phone anymore.
I guess a computer is a gaddget, but you should phone friends :smile:

My Gerber multi-tool, I seem to use it several times a week.

wolram
Gold Member
hypatia said:
My Gerber multi-tool, I seem to use it several times a week.
I can not resist, what is a Gerber multi tool ? :smile:

JamesU
Gold Member
is Google a gaddget?

SpaceTiger
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
wolram said:
I guess a computer is a gaddget, but you should phone friends :smile:
Why? Most of them have computers as well, so I can easily contact them that way. Besides, many of them are right down the hall. :smile:

http://www.gerber-tools.com/Gerber-Multi-Plier-600-Pro-Scout-needlenose-07563.htm" [Broken]mine is here

Last edited by a moderator:
Danger
Gold Member
There are none that I couldn't do without, because so many of them overlap in uses. If I had to pick only one to keep, it would probably be 10" ViseGrips w/ wire-cutter insert. (Unless you count the toilet as a 'gadget'.)

Danger said:
There are none that I couldn't do without, because so many of them overlap in uses. If I had to pick only one to keep, it would probably be 10" ViseGrips w/ wire-cutter insert. (Unless you count the toilet as a 'gadget'.)
There are gadgets for toilets:

http://www.sandman.com/intimst.html

hypatia said:
http://www.gerber-tools.com/Gerber-Multi-Plier-600-Pro-Scout-needlenose-07563.htm" [Broken]mine is here
That's some very cool stuff. Bit pricey, though. That's the sort of tool that should be automatically included in any life raft, tethered to the raft so you can't drop it in the drink. I've read several accounts of people having to take to the rafts and they always find they don't have the tools to do important things. Fishing gear should be another staple: lines, lures, spears and nets.

a lighter - if this is a crude gadget, then it is a must for me. (at least its better than a match or two sets of stones..hahaha!)

....and GOD said let there be light :)

Mechanical pencils (specifically with .5mm sized graphite) have got to be one of the best inventions ever.

I got mine as a gift a few years ago, its really lasted well for the punnishment I give it.

wolram
Gold Member
yomamma said:
is Google a gaddget?
No, it is more like an extension of your body :smile:

DocToxyn
Science Advisor
hypatia said:
I got mine as a gift a few years ago, its really lasted well for the punnishment I give it.
I've had mine going on 10+ years and despite what I've put it through, it's still going. A few holes in the belt pouch, but it hasn't dropped it yet.
Perhaps https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=70351&highlight=gerber"should be linked here.

LED Flashlight

I just bought one. I'm impressed. After all, it's just eight little LED's.

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
My coffee maker.
In addition, mastering its subtle technology is a daily challenge I am occasionally up to.

Danger
Gold Member
Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
After casette tapes, floppy disks, 2.5" diskettes, Zip drives, and even CD-R's, I love more than anything my 1Gig Sandisk flash memory stick.

Notice how I did not say "punch cards." I'm not THAT old.

Danger
Gold Member
Chi Meson said:
Notice how I did not say "punch cards." I'm not THAT old.
:grumpy: ..