Most ridiculous official sport you've heard of?

  • Thread starter Thread starter lah214
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Sports
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
43 replies · 24K views
There are some really strange events out there, but the world championships inhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wife_carrying" must be one of the weirdest.
Dennis Rodman participated a few years ago, although he was allowed to borrow a wife...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I almost forgot! rolling[/url]
From the top of the hill a round of Double Gloucester cheese is rolled, and competitors race down the hill after it. The first person over the finish line at the bottom of the hill wins the cheese. In theory, competitors are aiming to catch the cheese, but since it has a one second head start and can reach speeds up to 70 mph (enough to knock over and injure a spectator as it did in 1997), this rarely occurs.
2007 event video
2008 event video
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Why has no one mentioned golf? As a game, it's not so bad. I've been playing it poorly for a few years now. But if you want to call it a sport, it's got to be the most ridiculous. See what I mean:

http://www.particleman.org/2003/10/the_most_ridiculous_sport_but.html"

http://sammonsays.com/artman/publish/printer_Golf-column.shtml"
 
Last edited by a moderator:
not sure if anyone has mentioned this already but I've seen videos in china of people playing volleyball of a sort with a smaller ball and they play with their feet, legs and head... pretty amazing stuff... I've seen guys do complete backflips while spiking the ball over the net with their feet.
 
out of whack said:
Why has no one mentioned golf? As a game, it's not so bad. I've been playing it poorly for a few years now. But if you want to call it a sport, it's got to be the most ridiculous. See what I mean:

http://www.particleman.org/2003/10/the_most_ridiculous_sport_but.html"

http://sammonsays.com/artman/publish/printer_Golf-column.shtml"


+1, there's no 'sport' factor , never tried it but I think I'm right.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
binzing said:
That's ice climbing not waterfall climbing. They do it in Ouray every year.

It is still ridiculous no mater how much they do it. Fun though...
 
I seem to remember some thread about an Ultimate Fighting Children's League in Missouri...:rolleyes:
 
I'll add another vote on curling. That's just hilarious to watch, particularly the sweepers.

As a second choice, I'd pick ping pong. Fine as a game, but once I saw it attained competitive sport status as an Olympic event, I nearly died laughing.
 
Waterpolo.
(ridiculously awesome)
best shape I have ever been is was while I played competitively, now in college my team is real laid-back and lazy
 
I decided to to buka ball (or takraw). Its pretty hilarious, so thanks!