Can You Prove f(100) Is Less Than 100 Given f(0) = 0 and a Specific Derivative?

  • Thread starter Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
flyingpig
Messages
2,574
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement

For f(0) = 0, and that f'(x) = [tex]\frac{1}{1 + e^{-f(x)}}[/tex], prove that f(100) < 100

The Attempt at a Solution



I did

[tex]\f(100) = \int_{0}^{100} \frac{dx}{1 + e^{-f(x)}}[/tex]

Unfortunately, I got f(100) back...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
flyingpig said:
I did

[tex]\f(100) = \int_{0}^{100} \frac{dx}{1 + e^{-f(x)}}[/tex]

Unfortunately, I got f(100) back...

That's already ok. Can you prove now that the integral must be <100??

First, can you prove that

[tex]\frac{1}{1+e^{-f(x)}}\leq 1[/tex]
 
flyingpig said:

Homework Statement




For f(0) = 0, and that f'(x) = [tex]\frac{1}{1 + e^{-f(x)}}[/tex], prove that f(100) < 100


The Attempt at a Solution



I did

[tex]\f(100) = \int_{0}^{100} \frac{dx}{1 + e^{-f(x)}}[/tex]

Unfortunately, I got f(100) back...

For y > = 0 we have 1/(1+exp(-y)) = exp(y)/[1+exp(y)] <= 1.

RGV