Can You Recall the Formula for Finding the Area of a Spherical Patch?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Curl
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Area Spherical
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 10K views
Curl
Messages
756
Reaction score
0
Does anyone remember the formula for the area of a spherical patch in terms of two angles?

Obviously you parametrize the surface and do the surface integral but I'm a bit too lazy/busy right now. So does anyone just remember the result?

By spherical patch I mean something like this:
.
WATER_366_2007_76_Fig12_HTML.jpg
.

I want to define it by two angles which are between some arbitrary values. The z-axis passes through the center of the patch and is normal to the surface at the intersection point.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The "differential of surface area" of a sphere of radius R is [itex]R^2 sin(\phi)d\phi d\theta[/itex] so the area of a spherical patch with [itex]\theta[/itex] between [itex]\theta_0[/itex] and [itex]\theta_1[/itex], [itex]\phi[/itex] between [itex]\phi_0[/itex] and [itex]\phi_1[/itex] is given by
[tex]\int_{\theta= \theta_0}^{\theta_1}\int_{\phi= \phi_0}^{\phi_1} R^2 sin(\phi)d\phi d\theta[/tex]
[tex]= R^2(\theta_1- \theta_0)(cos(\phi_0)- cos(\phi_1))[/tex]
 
I have the impression that HallsofIvy did not answer Curl's question... however, I'm extrapolating a bit based on Curl's verbiage and picture.

I think Curl is depicting what would be the intersection of two orthogonal lunes, that is: all for "sides" of the patch are segments along great circles. (I'd informally call this a "rectangular patch of a sphere"...)

I think HallsofIvy answered as if the "sides" of the patch are like "latitude and longitude lines" on the globe. As we know, latitude lines are NOT great circles, except for latitude = 0°. (I'd informally call this a "trapezoidal patch of a sphere"...)

So I think Curl's question is yet to be answered.

However -- if I'm right -- then I got the answer I was looking for, which was the "latitude-longitude" sense.
 
If the sides of the "patch" are segments of great circles, then the area on the surface of a sphere of radius 1 is given by the "pyramid solid angle formula",
[tex]\Omega = 4 \arcsin \left( \sin \frac{a}{2} \sin \frac{b}{2} \right)[/tex]
where a and b are the apex angles. Mutiply by [itex]R^2[/itex] for a sphere of radius [itex]R[/itex].

See the section titled "Pyramid" in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_angle