1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arc area of a sphere? (a piece of r^2*sinθ*ΔrΔθΔφ)

1. Nov 26, 2012 #1
    Arc area of a sphere??? (a piece of r^2*sinθ*ΔrΔθΔφ)

Hello, this is not a homework question. I'm trying to self-derive the divergence formula in spherical coordinates, and I'm doing this by taking a small arc-volume about the point (r,θ,φ), where r is the radial distance from the origin, θ is the polar angle from the positive z-axis, and φ is the azimuthal angle from the positive x-axis.

Consider a small slab of the sphere about (r,θ,φ). The volume of this small slab is: Δr*(r*Δθ)*(r*sinθ*Δφ). Consider the side of the slab that has the normal vector(to the surface) = +r(hat). How would I find the area of this surface? It is curved in two angles; I have no idea how to compute the area. If someone can show me how to compute this area, it would be greatly appreciated.

I have another area-portion that I can't figure out. Consider the surface with the normal vector = +θ(hat). I initially thought the area to this surface was [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]Δφ*(r+[itex]\frac{Δr}{2}[/itex])2 - [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]Δφ*(r-[itex]\frac{Δr}{2}[/itex])2 = r*Δr*Δφ

But I realized that i forgot the fact that this area will also be dependent upon θ. So can anyone help me out with these two surface areas? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2012 #2
    Re: Arc area of a sphere??? (a piece of r^2*sinθ*ΔrΔθΔφ)

I edited the post, and now the LaTeX stuff isn't showing up :/. Here it is again, hopefully unbroken this time

[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]Δφ*(r+[itex]\frac{Δr}{2}[/itex])2 - [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]Δφ*(r-[itex]\frac{Δr}{2}[/itex])2 = r*Δr*Δφ

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook