1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface area of a spherical cap

1. Oct 7, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the area of a circle of radius r (distance from center to circumference) in the two-dimensional geometry that is the surface of a sphere of radius a. Show that this reduces to πr2 when r << a

2. Relevant equations
    Surface area of a spherical cap = 2πah = π(r2 + h2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've thrown all the calculus I've known at this problem and couldn't crack it. I immediately realized this problem was trying to get me to calculate the area of a spherical cap in the limit where the radius of the base of the cap was much smaller than the radius of the sphere, but I tried a straightforward double integral in spherical coordinates and couldn't get it to come out right. I tried to same thing integrating over infinitesimally thin rings from the top of the sphere to the circumference of the circle. No dice. I even found the surface area for the spherical cap, which I posted above, and attempted to just show that it reduced to πr2 when r << a and couldn't even prove that much. I couldn't get a formula with r and a together. None of the handfuls of derivations I found for the surface area of a spherical cap helped me.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2012 #2
    The surface area integral you performed should have a cosine term in it if you used spherical coordinates, specifically cos(r/a). The entire formula should only contain a and r as variables. Replace the cosine term by the 2nd degree Taylor polynomial for cosine about r/a = 0 to get an approximation of cosine for small values of r/a that have negligible 4th degree and higher contributions. The formula should then immediately simplify to πr2.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  4. Oct 8, 2012 #3
    How about finding the surface of revolution of a circle's arc?

5. Oct 8, 2012 #4
    That's it. I simply forgot to expand into the second term of the Taylor series. My friend in the class came along while I was in the library and alerted me of this earlier today. Thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook