Surface area of a spherical cap

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the area of a circle on the surface of a sphere with radius a and how it reduces to πr2 when r << a. The conversation also touches on finding the surface area of a circle's arc and using the Taylor series to approximate the cosine term in the surface area integral. The conclusion is that the formula simplifies to πr2 when expanded to the second term of the Taylor series.
soothsayer

Homework Statement

Calculate the area of a circle of radius r (distance from center to circumference) in the two-dimensional geometry that is the surface of a sphere of radius a. Show that this reduces to πr2 when r << a

Homework Equations

Surface area of a spherical cap = 2πah = π(r2 + h2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've thrown all the calculus I've known at this problem and couldn't crack it. I immediately realized this problem was trying to get me to calculate the area of a spherical cap in the limit where the radius of the base of the cap was much smaller than the radius of the sphere, but I tried a straightforward double integral in spherical coordinates and couldn't get it to come out right. I tried to same thing integrating over infinitesimally thin rings from the top of the sphere to the circumference of the circle. No dice. I even found the surface area for the spherical cap, which I posted above, and attempted to just show that it reduced to πr2 when r << a and couldn't even prove that much. I couldn't get a formula with r and a together. None of the handfuls of derivations I found for the surface area of a spherical cap helped me.

Physics news on Phys.org
The surface area integral you performed should have a cosine term in it if you used spherical coordinates, specifically cos(r/a). The entire formula should only contain a and r as variables. Replace the cosine term by the 2nd degree Taylor polynomial for cosine about r/a = 0 to get an approximation of cosine for small values of r/a that have negligible 4th degree and higher contributions. The formula should then immediately simplify to πr2.

Last edited:
How about finding the surface of revolution of a circle's arc?

slider142 said:
The surface area integral you performed should have a cosine term in it if you used spherical coordinates, specifically cos(r/a). The entire formula should only contain a and r as variables. Replace the cosine term by the 2nd degree Taylor polynomial for cosine about r/a = 0 to get an approximation of cosine for small values of r/a that have negligible 4th degree and higher contributions. The formula should then immediately simplify to πr2.

That's it. I simply forgot to expand into the second term of the Taylor series. My friend in the class came along while I was in the library and alerted me of this earlier today. Thanks for the help!

1. What is the formula for calculating the surface area of a spherical cap?

The formula for calculating the surface area of a spherical cap is A = 2πrh, where A is the surface area, r is the radius of the sphere, and h is the height of the cap (also known as the depth or sagitta).

2. How is the surface area of a spherical cap different from the surface area of a hemisphere?

The surface area of a spherical cap is a fraction of the surface area of a hemisphere. The surface area of a hemisphere is equal to half the surface area of the sphere, while the surface area of a spherical cap is equal to the curved surface area of the cap only.

3. Can the surface area of a spherical cap be negative?

No, the surface area of a spherical cap cannot be negative. It is a physical measurement of the area of a curved surface and therefore cannot have a negative value.

4. How does the height of the spherical cap affect its surface area?

The height of the spherical cap directly affects its surface area. As the height increases, the surface area also increases. This is because a taller cap has a larger curved surface area compared to a shorter cap.

5. Is there a specific unit for measuring the surface area of a spherical cap?

The surface area of a spherical cap can be measured in any unit of area, such as square meters or square inches. However, it is important to note the consistency of units when performing calculations.