What's the Secret Behind This Riddle?

• Thread starter AMan24
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Riddle
In summary, this is a riddle about an aquarium and a fish that eats all the fish food. The answer is "beta fish."
AMan24
What am I? Ice women a knack weary yum Andy tall thevish feud. Mine aim kennel sobe agree klet her?

the answer is....
"Siamese fighting fish"
Can anyone explain to me how the hell this is the answer. My chemistry teacher gave this as a random extra credit question on our test. I am convinced he's trolling us.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can make sense out of the second sentence: My name can also be a greek letter (so beta in this case).
Have to pass on the first one, but it'll be something phonetically analogous.

Don't think your grade will be influenced by missing out on this one :smile:

Looks more like a code than a riddle to me.

I swim in an aquarium and eat all the fish food ?

Likes billy_joule
Siam is a Greek letter? He must meant psi.

Well, I bet nobody got that.

He should get his head checked. Seems like he fell on it.

You can always respond with a question like "complete the sequence <insert random numbers>".
It's similar since you can't answer it without knowing the context/rules you used.

You guys should look at this a bit more open-minded !
If I google siamese fighting fish I immediately find the name betta fish. ##\beta## !

So my best bet:

I swim in an aquarium and eat all the fish food. My name can also be a greek letter.

Improvements welcome, but I think I've got the main issue.
Perhaps this once being a non-native english speaker is an advantage :smile: .

Likes 256bits, jackwhirl and Enigman
BvU said:
If I google siamese fighting fish I immediately find the name betta fish. ##\beta## !

So my best bet:

I swim in an aquarium and eat all the fish food. My name can also be a greek letter.

Great job, but I still call it at least half a code because you first have to decode the words before solving the riddle.

If you like that sort of puzzle, look up Mad Gab.

beta fish or "If the teacher wanted you to figure out what the riddle itself is" that would be a (phonetic cypher or code.)

Last edited:
BvU said:

So my best bet:

I got as far as " I swim in a ... the fish food. My name ... " before you posted.
Good one.

Phoenetics is sounding it out. :)

gjonesy said:
beta fish or "If the teacher wanted you to figure out what the riddle itself is" that would be a (phonetic cypher or code.)
Yeah, apparently the conventional term for this is "phonetic cypher," though I'm not sure it actually fits the definition of a cypher.
http://www.magicschoolbook.com/extras/codes

Anyway, this seems to have started with the song, "Mairzy Doats":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mairzy_Doats

Likes gjonesy and BvU
zoobyshoe said:
Yeah, apparently the conventional term for this is "phonetic cypher," though I'm not sure it actually fits the definition of a cypher.Anyway, this seems to have started with the song, "Mairzy Doats":

Or maybe with "Ladle rat rotten hut".

Likes gjonesy
AMan24 said:
What am I? Ice women a knack weary yum Andy tall thevish feud. Mine aim kennel sobe agree klet her?

the answer is....
"Siamese fighting fish"
Can anyone explain to me how the hell this is the answer. My chemistry teacher gave this as a random extra credit question on our test. I am convinced he's trolling us.
Please post school related problems in the appropriate homework section.

1. What is a riddle?

A riddle is a type of puzzle or game in which a question or statement is posed as a problem to be solved, often with a hidden meaning or solution.

2. How do you solve a riddle?

Solving a riddle usually requires careful reading and thinking about the words and clues provided. It may also involve lateral thinking and considering multiple possible interpretations.

3. What makes a good riddle?

A good riddle is one that is clever, challenging, and has a clear answer or solution. It should also have a creative or unexpected twist that makes it entertaining.

4. Are there different types of riddles?

Yes, there are many different types of riddles, including wordplay riddles, logic puzzles, lateral thinking riddles, and enigmas. Each type has its own unique characteristics and challenges.

5. Can anyone solve a riddle?

With practice and patience, anyone can learn to solve riddles. However, some riddles may require specific knowledge or skills, so it is important to choose riddles that are appropriate for your level of ability.

Back