Can you take the determinant of a mxn matrix where m>n

  • Thread starter Thread starter charlies1902
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Determinant Matrix
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
charlies1902
Messages
162
Reaction score
0
Number of rows>number of columns.

Just out of curiosity, I've never seen this done before. I don't even know how if it were possible.



Same with an mxn matrix where n>m+1. I don't think you would be able to find the determinant of this either.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
charlies1902 said:
Number of rows>number of columns.

Just out of curiosity, I've never seen this done before. I don't even know how if it were possible.



Same with an mxn matrix where n>m+1. I don't think you would be able to find the determinant of this either.

If you look up the definition of matrix determinant in your textbook, you'll see the answer fairly quickly!:wink: