Cannot work out change of variables in Integral

In summary, the conversation discusses an integral and a substitution for it, with the author having trouble with the differential calculation. The error may be in the calculation of dr/dλ, which should be double checked.
muzialis
Hi there,

in a paper the author obtains the integral
$$\int_{a}^{\infty} \frac {g(\lambda(r))}{r}\mathrm{d}r$$
which is claimed to be equivalent to
$$\int_{a/A}^{1} \frac {g(\lambda(r))}{\lambda (\lambda^3-1)}\mathrm{d}\lambda$$
making use of the relationship (previously physically justified)
$$r = (a^3-A^3)^{1/3} \lambda (\lambda^3-1)^{-1/3}$$
where A is a given geometric length, a is a parameter, and the function g(.) is given.
I cannot work out the substitution. The limits of integration are fine, but when I compute the differential I get
$$\mathrm{d}r = (a^3-A^3)^{1/3} [(\lambda^3-1)^{-1/3}+\lambda^3 -(\lambda^3-1)^{-4/3}] \mathrm{d}\lambda$$
so when substituted as expected the factor $$(a^3-A^3)^{1/3}$$ disappers: yet I do not get the desired result.
Would anybody please be patient enough to point to the error?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you calculated dr/dλ incorrectly. I would check that first.

Likes 1 person
muzialis said:
Hi there,

in a paper the author obtains the integral
$$\int_{a}^{\infty} \frac {g(\lambda(r))}{r}\mathrm{d}r$$
which is claimed to be equivalent to
$$\int_{a/A}^{1} \frac {g(\lambda(r))}{\lambda (\lambda^3-1)}\mathrm{d}\lambda$$
making use of the relationship (previously physically justified)
$$r = (a^3-A^3)^{1/3} \lambda (\lambda^3-1)^{-1/3}$$
where A is a given geometric length, a is a parameter, and the function g(.) is given.
I cannot work out the substitution. The limits of integration are fine, but when I compute the differential I get
$$\mathrm{d}r = (a^3-A^3)^{1/3} [(\lambda^3-1)^{-1/3}+\lambda^3 -(\lambda^3-1)^{-4/3}] \mathrm{d}\lambda$$
so when substituted as expected the factor $$(a^3-A^3)^{1/3}$$ disappers: yet I do not get the desired result.
Would anybody please be patient enough to point to the error?

Thanks

should be

$$\mathrm{d}r = (a^3-A^3)^{1/3} [(\lambda^3-1)^{-1/3}-\lambda^3 (\lambda^3-1)^{-4/3}] \mathrm{d}\lambda$$

Likes 1 person

What is a change of variables in an integral?

A change of variables in an integral is a method used to simplify the integration process by substituting the original variable with a new variable. This allows for a more manageable integral that can be solved more easily.

Why is it important to learn how to work out change of variables in integrals?

Working out change of variables in integrals is important because it allows for a more efficient and accurate way of solving complex integrals. It can also help in solving integrals that would otherwise be impossible to solve using traditional methods.

What are the steps for working out change of variables in integrals?

The steps for working out change of variables in integrals are as follows:1. Identify the original variable and the desired variable to substitute it with.2. Determine the relationship between the two variables.3. Substitute the original variable with the new variable in the integral.4. Rearrange the integral to be in terms of the new variable.5. Solve the integral using the new variable.6. Substitute back the original variable in the final answer.

What are some common mistakes when working out change of variables in integrals?

Some common mistakes when working out change of variables in integrals include:- Choosing the wrong substitution variable.- Not properly simplifying the integral after substitution.- Forgetting to substitute back the original variable in the final answer.- Not understanding the relationship between the original and new variables.

Are there any tips for successfully working out change of variables in integrals?

Yes, here are some tips for successfully working out change of variables in integrals:- Choose a substitution variable that will simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.- Make sure to fully understand the relationship between the original and new variables.- Always check your answer by differentiating it to see if it satisfies the original integral.- Practice and familiarize yourself with different types of change of variables techniques.