Canonical transformation - derviation problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between integrands and time derivatives, and how it relates to the Hamiltonian and Lagrangian functions. The claim made in the conversation is based on Proposition 2.10, which can be better understood by visualizing it through the definition of action. Ultimately, the condition of the action remaining constant is equivalent whether or not a time derivative of a function is added to the Lagrangian.
Vicol
Let me show you part of a book "Mechanics From Newton’s Laws to Deterministic Chaos" by Florian Scheck.

OV5cnfT.png

I do not understand why these integrands can differ by more than time derivative of some function M. Why doesn't it change the value of integrals?

It seems this point is crucial for me to get into generating functions (and then to Hamilton-Jacobi functions) but I won't proceed until I fully understand derviations. So can anyone explain mathematical story of the derviation?

Attachments

• OV5cnfT.png
    OV5cnfT.png
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,064
Physics news on Phys.org
The claim depends on Proposition 2.10 so it is more likely that help can be provided if you can show Proposition 2.10.

fMWckum.png

Attachments

• fMWckum.png
    fMWckum.png
    42.6 KB · Views: 818
That's because the Hamiltionian function is defined as the "Legendre Transformation" of the Lagrangian function or, in practice:

$$H = \sum \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q_i}} \dot{q_i} - L $$ so the integrand function in (2.78) is nothing but the Lagrangian function. As you should know and as the proposition 2.10 says (and proves!) adding the total time derivative of a function ##M(q,t)## to the Lagrangian does not affect the motion described by the Lagrangian itself. You can visualize it by this way:

Let ##L(q, \dot{q}, t)## be a Lagrangian function, we now define ##L'(q, \dot{q}, t)= L(q, \dot{q}, t) + \frac{dM(q,t)}{dt}##. We define the action as
$$ S' = \int_{t_1} ^{t_2} L'(q,\dot{q}, t)dt = \int_{t_1} ^{t_2} L(q,\dot{q}, t) dt + \int_{t_1} ^{t_2} \frac{dM(q,t)}{dt} dt = S + M(q_2,t_2) - M(q_1,t_1) = S + constant$$
where clearly ## S= \int_{t_1} ^{t_2} L(q,\dot{q}, t)dt##. Now you can se that the condition ## \delta S' = 0## is perfectly equivalent to ##\delta S=0##.

Likes Vicol

1. What is a canonical transformation in physics?

A canonical transformation is a mathematical tool used in Hamiltonian mechanics to transform the coordinates and momenta of a system into a new set of coordinates and momenta that still describe the same physical system. It is a symplectic transformation that preserves the symplectic structure of the system.

2. What is the purpose of a canonical transformation?

The purpose of a canonical transformation is to simplify the mathematical description of a physical system. It can help to eliminate complicated terms in the Hamiltonian, reduce the number of equations of motion, and make the system easier to analyze.

3. How is a canonical transformation performed?

A canonical transformation is typically performed by finding a generating function that relates the old coordinates and momenta to the new coordinates and momenta. This generating function can be found by solving a set of differential equations known as the Hamilton-Jacobi equations.

4. What is the difference between a canonical transformation and a coordinate transformation?

A canonical transformation differs from a coordinate transformation in that it preserves the symplectic structure of the system, while a coordinate transformation does not. This means that the equations of motion and the form of the Hamiltonian remain unchanged under a canonical transformation, while they may change under a coordinate transformation.

5. What is the derivation problem in canonical transformations?

The derivation problem in canonical transformations refers to the difficulty of finding a generating function that will produce the desired transformation. In some cases, it may be impossible to find a generating function and alternative methods, such as the Poisson bracket or Lie transformations, must be used to perform the transformation.