Can't get my head around reduced mass (particle physics)

In summary, the question is about calculating the wavelength of the n = 4 → 3 transition in 4He+ to an accuracy of 4 significant figures. The equation used for this is λ = (m/me)R∞(1/n1^2 - 1/n2^2), where m is the reduced mass and R∞ is the Rydberg constant. The answer for the wavelength is 468.7 nm, and the reduced mass is calculated to be 3.99, which may be incorrect due to the units being used. The full question and attempted solution can be found in a new thread.
Flucky
User informed about mandatory use of homework template.
I know it's probably simple but I just don't understand reduced mass.

I am trying to work out the reduced mass of 4He+.

m = memN / me + mN

Can somebody please just explain step by step what I do. This is only a segment of a 1 mark question and I'm getting my knickers in a frustratingly twisty twist. I've looked at the other threads and websites but still no clue.

The answer needs to be 3.99... but I always end up with 0.99...

Physics news on Phys.org
Normally you would need to expand more than that on your attempted solution, but I have a suspicion.

What are the units you are quoting your answers in? Atomic mass units? In that case, did you insert the mass of one nucleon instead of that of a helium nucleus?

Hi Orodruin

I'll give you the full question to give a better understanding-

Calculate the wavelength of the n = 4 → 3 transition in 4He+ to an accuracy of 4 significant figures. (R∞=109 737 cm-1.) (Fine structure effects can be neglected.)

Now the equation that I'd use for this is:

[itex] \frac{1}{λ} = \frac{m}{m_e} R_∞ (\frac{1}{n_1^2} - \frac{1}{n_2^2})[/itex]

Where λ is wavelength, m is the reduced mass, and [itex]R_∞[/itex] is Rydberg constant.

So I know the answer for the wavelength is 468.7 nm (I looked), and working backwards to try make sense of reduced mass I got m = 3.99.

I tried it in SI units using the mass in kg of an electron + 2 protons + 2 neutrons but it still didn't help.

Reduced mass is a concept used in particle physics to simplify calculations involving two or more particles. It is defined as the effective mass of a system of two or more particles in motion relative to each other. In the case of 4He+, the reduced mass is used to simplify calculations involving the motion of the 4He+ ion and an electron.

To calculate the reduced mass, you will need to know the masses of the particles involved. In this case, we have the mass of the 4He+ ion (m) and the mass of the electron (me). The mass of the neutron (mN) is also involved, but since it is much larger than the electron mass, we can approximate it as infinity.

The formula for calculating the reduced mass is:

μ = memN / (me + mN)

Substituting the values we have, we get:

μ = (4.0026 x 1.6605 x 10^-27 kg) / (9.1094 x 10^-31 kg + infinity)

Since infinity is essentially a very large number, we can ignore it in this calculation. So, the reduced mass is approximately equal to:

μ = (4.0026 x 1.6605 x 10^-27 kg) / 9.1094 x 10^-31 kg

= 6.6419 x 10^-27 kg

This is the reduced mass of the system. To get the final answer of 3.99, you may need to round off the value to the appropriate number of significant figures. I hope this helps clarify the concept of reduced mass for you. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

1. What is reduced mass in particle physics?

The reduced mass in particle physics refers to the effective mass of a system of two particles that are interacting with each other. It takes into account the individual masses of the particles as well as their relative motion.

2. How is reduced mass calculated?

Reduced mass is calculated using the formula μ = m1m2 / (m1 + m2), where m1 and m2 are the masses of the individual particles.

3. Why is reduced mass important in particle physics?

Reduced mass is important in particle physics because it allows for a more accurate calculation of the motion and interactions between two particles. It takes into account the relative motion of the particles, which can significantly affect their behavior.

4. How does reduced mass relate to the concept of center of mass?

The reduced mass is related to the concept of center of mass in that it is the mass of a system that behaves as if all its mass is concentrated at the center of mass. This means that the motion of the system can be described as if it were a single particle with the reduced mass located at the center of mass.

5. Can reduced mass be negative?

No, reduced mass cannot be negative. It is a positive value that represents the effective mass of a system of particles. If the individual masses of the particles are negative, the reduced mass will still be a positive value.