1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can't remember how to differentiate this

1. Aug 21, 2007 #1
    for my Schrodinger equation I need the second derivative of this: Axe^(-x^2/ L^2)
    I think that I am missing some chain rule or something.

The solutions say: ( 4Ax^3-6AxL^2)(1/L^4)e^(-x^2/ L^2)

I only got -2Axe^(-x^2/L^2) for the 1st deriv. and 4Axe^(-x^2/L^2) and I still can't figure out what I'm missing even by looking at the solutions.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you are missing both the product rule and the chain rule. I'm not even sure what rule you are using. Warm up by taking the derivative of x*exp(-x^2). You should get exp(-x^2)-2*x^2*exp(-x^2). I think you may need to crack a first year calc text before dealing with the SE.
  4. Aug 21, 2007 #3
    Your first derivative is immediately wrong because you didn't use the product rule (but you also forgot chain rule).
  5. Aug 29, 2007 #4
    Thank you, your were both very right. I had immediately missed the product rule. Thanks for the help. :redface:
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?