Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can't tell if I made a chaotic circuit or if I broke the sim

1. Mar 24, 2015 #1
    So, I was playing around with a couple of voltage multiplier circuits a few months ago, and while optimizing one design, I came up with a pretty neat (not to brag) way of converting a sine wave to a square wave by using transformers in a completely different way than normally. A little while ago, I got bored and decided to test it in some free online simulator I found. Surprisingly, it seemed to work perfectly. Even more surprisingly, after playing around with it for a while, I was able to observe some pretty surprising effects.

Here's the circuit diagram, as best as I can remember it. It's pretty simple, but if you probe the voltage difference between points 1 and 2, you'll see a very odd periodic pattern: a sine wave for half of the period, followed by rapid, chaotic oscillations for the other half, if I remember correctly. Measure 3 and 4 to see the square wave:

20150324_220536.jpg

If you're using a simulator, you may have to wire it like this (I don't remember why. Something about the direction the current is traveling or something):

20150324_220546.jpg

So, is this truly chaotic behavior? Also, I'm sure everyone will agree with me when I say inductors are weird, but I still can't figure out why this circuit would behave so erratically. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Mar 31, 2015 #3

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Your unusual circuit is duplicated. You only need to simulate half at the time.
    That way you will be able to ground your AC supply and your resistive load.
    Are you deliberately saturating the transformer cores or are you trying to alternate the flux direction ?

The magnetic saturation of transformer cores is used to control power.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturable_reactor
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royer_oscillator

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook