Can't understand my books diagram?

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion of understanding a diagram and graphs from a book on an AC circuit and a resistor. The graphs are not meant to be quantitative, but rather to illustrate the general situation of V and I varying sinusoidally and in phase with each other. The amplitude of the current cannot be determined without a scale, and the section following this discusses phasor diagrams which may be difficult to understand without grasping the concept of the graphs first. The conversation ends with the questioner expressing gratitude for the clarification.
Rijad Hadzic

Homework Statement

This isn't a problem. I need help understanding a diagram and graphs from my book

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm given a diagram on an AC circuit and a resistor.

I am then given a graph of the potential of the resistor as a function of time, and then a graph of the current as a function of time.

Why does my book have the amplitude of the current higher than the potential? It makes no sense to me. The only case that the current will be larger than the potential is if 0<R<1 but it doesn't mention the value of R at all.

The section right after this is phasor diagrams and I don't think I will be able to understand this section enough if I am not even able to understand the graphs. Can someone please help me understand this..

Attachments

• network-security.jpg
    network-security.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 412
  • 41a28A84XhL._SX422_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    41a28A84XhL._SX422_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 425
Physics news on Phys.org
Apologies I wasn't able to upload the whole thing. This post should have all the graphs.

Attachments

• DG2Nyqh.jpg
    DG2Nyqh.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 413
As the axes have no units, you can't say that the amplitude of the current is higher than that of the potential. Even though the green arrow is longer than the red one, in the absence of a scale this means nothing (because I and V have different units). The graphs are not trying to be quantitative; they are just illustrating the general situation, i.e. that V and I both vary sinusoidally and in phase with each other.

mjc123 said:
As the axes have no units, you can't say that the amplitude of the current is higher than that of the potential. Even though the green arrow is longer than the red one, in the absence of a scale this means nothing (because I and V have different units). The graphs are not trying to be quantitative; they are just illustrating the general situation, i.e. that V and I both vary sinusoidally and in phase with each other.

Damn that makes sense. damn can't believe I couldn't figure that out myself smh man.. thank you though.

Related to Can't understand my books diagram?

1. Why are the diagrams in my book so difficult to understand?

There could be a few reasons for this. It could be that the diagram is poorly designed or labeled, making it hard to interpret. It could also be that you are not familiar with the subject matter and need more background knowledge to understand the diagram.

2. How can I improve my understanding of diagrams in my books?

One way to improve your understanding is to look for additional resources that explain the same concept with different diagrams or visuals. You can also try breaking down the diagram into smaller parts and understanding each section before putting it all together.

3. Are there any tips for understanding complex diagrams in textbooks?

Yes, here are a few tips: 1) Start by reading the caption or description of the diagram to get an idea of what it's trying to convey. 2) Look for key elements or labels that can help you understand the overall structure. 3) Pay attention to the scale and proportions used in the diagram. 4) If possible, try to find real-life examples or demonstrations of the concept.

4. I am a visual learner, how can I better understand diagrams in my textbooks?

If you are a visual learner, it may help to create your own diagrams or visual aids to supplement the ones in your textbook. You can also try using different colors or annotations to help you better understand the diagram. Additionally, you may benefit from watching videos or animations that explain the concept using visuals.

5. What should I do if I still can't understand the diagrams in my textbooks?

If you are still struggling to understand the diagrams in your textbooks, don't hesitate to reach out to your teacher or professor for clarification. You can also try studying with a group and discussing the diagrams together, as different perspectives may help you understand better. And remember, practice makes perfect, so keep reviewing and working with diagrams until you feel confident in your understanding.