Can't understand this circuit (diode/capacitor)

• Engineering
  • Thread starter Mo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the conversation discussed a specific type of circuit, a full wave rectifier with a smoothing capacitor, and how it works with an AC input. The group clarified the circuit's components and how it functions, including the role of the load resistor in discharging and recharging the capacitor. The conversation also addressed an error in the circuit's initial configuration.
Mo

Homework Statement

What is the name given to this type of circuit? Sketch output voltage waveform for a sine wave input across nodes A-B.

Homework Equations

Please see attachment for circuit.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I am inclined to say it is a full wave rectifier with a smoothing capacitor. I just cannot see how the current will move through the circuit.

As v_in goes positive, D1 and D2 conduct. D3 and D4 will not conduct. I assume the current will split and so we will have current entering the capacitor through both terminals??

It seems as if once the current has gone in there is no way for it to come out? I really don't understand this diagram! (unless I dont' understand AC properly..)

Thanks.

Attachments

• circuit.JPG
    circuit.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 585
Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct, that is exactly what it is. If there were no load resistor, then the DC voltage across the capacitor would be the max peak-to-peak AC input voltage, minus how many diode drops?

And with the load resistor, what happens to the capacitor voltage between the AC input peaks?

Yup it is a rectifier :) But more like a bridge rectifier.

t seems as if once the current has gone in there is no way for it to come out? I really don't understand this diagram! (unless I dont' understand AC properly..)

Gone in? You mean from the capacitor's perspective? Well that's what the resistor is there for. Do you know how it would discharge through the resistor and what the wave form will look like?

EDIT: aww honey mustard berkeman. You're quick!

Last edited:
berkeman said:
You are correct, that is exactly what it is. If there were no load resistor, then the DC voltage across the capacitor would be the max peak-to-peak AC input voltage, minus how many diode drops?

And with the load resistor, what happens to the capacitor voltage between the AC input peaks?

Gone in? You mean from the capacitor's perspective? Well that's what the resistor is there for. Do you know how it would discharge through the resistor and what the wave form will look like?

The capacitor will discharge and then recharge on the negative input wave, so on and so forth. Essentially the output as seen from the load will be a DC voltage (almost a Dc voltage - as far as i know this will depend on how well the output is smoothed) The output DC voltage will be the input volatge minus 2(?) diode drops.

I still don't fully understand how the circuit works. The questions tells us its a sine wave, so when A goes positive, what is B at? .

If we assume its 6V peak to peak, then when A goes positive, 3V will enter into the circuit, do these 3 volts split between the branch containing D2 and the branch containing D1? Surely not?

Thanks for your help so far.

Compared with a bridge rectifier that actually works, this one has two of the diodes the wrong way round.

That might explain why you are having problems understanding it!

Flip D1 and D4 the other way round, then it should make more sense.

AlephZero said:
Compared with a bridge rectifier that actually works, this one has two of the diodes the wrong way round.

That might explain why you are having problems understanding it!

Flip D1 and D4 the other way round, then it should make more sense.

Ack! Good catch. I only looked at the other two diodes :blushing:

No wonder the OP was confused!

Thanks for your help all. :smile:

1. What is a diode and how does it work in a circuit?

A diode is an electronic component that allows current to flow in only one direction. It works by having a semiconducting material with two terminals, an anode and a cathode. When a voltage is applied to the anode that is higher than the cathode, the diode allows current to flow. However, if the voltage is reversed, the diode blocks the flow of current.

2. What is the purpose of a capacitor in a circuit?

A capacitor is a passive electronic component that stores and releases electrical energy. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, or dielectric. When a voltage is applied to the capacitor, it charges and stores energy. This stored energy can then be released as needed to stabilize the voltage in a circuit, filter out noise, or store information.

3. Why can't I understand this circuit with a diode and capacitor?

Understanding a circuit with a diode and capacitor can be challenging because these components behave differently than resistors or other basic components. Diodes have a non-linear relationship between voltage and current, and capacitors can store and release energy. It may also be difficult to understand if the circuit is using special diodes or capacitors with different properties.

4. How do I troubleshoot a circuit with a diode and capacitor?

To troubleshoot a circuit with a diode and capacitor, you should start by checking the connections and making sure all components are in the correct orientation. You can also use a multimeter to measure the voltage across the diode and capacitor to ensure they are functioning correctly. If there are still issues, you may need to consult a circuit diagram or seek the help of an experienced engineer.

5. Can a diode and capacitor be used together in a circuit?

Yes, a diode and capacitor can be used together in a circuit. In fact, they are often used together in rectifier circuits, which convert AC voltage to DC voltage. Capacitors can also be used in parallel with diodes to smooth out the output voltage and reduce ripple. However, it is important to design the circuit carefully and choose the appropriate components to ensure they work together effectively.