Can't understand this argument for Lorentz transformation y'=y

In summary: Yes, a23 and a32 would have to be zero as they would cancel out.In summary, the argument assumes that the Lorentz transformation equations are true in order for the argument to apply. Without first assuming that the Lorentz transformation equations are true, the argument does not make sense.
Happiness
I don't fully understand the argument below used to derive the Lorentz transformation equation ##y'=y##.

IMG_9586.jpg

IMG_9587.jpg

Suppose we have a rod of unit length placed stationary in frame S. According to an observer in frame S' (which is moving at a velocity v relative to frame S), this rod is moving and its length would be ##\frac{1}{\gamma}## (i.e., ##\Delta l'=\frac{\Delta l}{\gamma}=\frac{1}{\gamma}##).

Following the above argument, we now place the rod stationary in frame S'. The rod must also be of unit length in frame S'; otherwise there would be an asymmetry in the frames. In this case, however, the S-observer would measure the rod's length to be ##\gamma## (i.e., ##\Delta l=\gamma\Delta l'=\gamma\times1##). Now, because of the reciprocal nature of these length measurements, the first postulate (see below) requires that these measurements be identical, for otherwise the frames would not be identical physically. Hence, we must have ##\gamma=\frac{1}{\gamma}## or ##\gamma=1##.

But for non-zero v, ##\gamma\neq1##. Hence, I don't understand the above argument fully.

Of course, I know my argument involving ##\Delta l## is wrong. What I don't understand is why the argument works for ##y## but not for ##\Delta l##.

IMG_9588.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Happiness said:
the argument below

Where is this argument from? Please give a reference.

Happiness said:
According to an observer in frame S' (which is moving at a velocity v relative to frame S), this rod is moving and its length would be ##\frac{1}{\gamma}## (i.e., ##\Delta l'=\frac{\Delta l}{\gamma}=\frac{1}{\gamma}##).

Only if the rod is oriented along the direction of relative motion, which in this case, I believe (you didn't give a reference or context so I don't know for sure), is the x axis. A rod oriented along the y axis, perpendicular to the direction of motion, would have the same length in both frames.

PeterDonis said:
Where is this argument from? Please give a reference.

It's from Introduction to Special Relativity by Robert Resnick, page 58.

PeterDonis said:
Only if the rod is oriented along the direction of relative motion, which in this case, I believe (you didn't give a reference or context so I don't know for sure), is the x axis. A rod oriented along the y axis, perpendicular to the direction of motion, would have the same length in both frames.

Yes, I should have mentioned that the rod is oriented along the direction of relative motion, which is is the x axis.

Happiness said:
I should have mentioned that the rod is oriented along the direction of relative motion, which is is the x axis.

Not in the quote you gave in the OP. Read it again.

Happiness said:
Following the above argument

Which doesn't apply if the rod is oriented along the direction of motion.

Happiness said:
What I don't understand is why the argument works for yyy but not for ΔlΔl\Delta l.

Because the argument in the quote you gave only applies if the rod is oriented perpendicular to the direction of motion.

I strongly suspect that if you go back and look at the context, instead of just the limited quote you gave in the OP, you will see why. Or you could give the actual reference where you got the quote from, so that others can also see the context. Without that added information it's going to be very difficult to see where your reasoning has gone wrong.

PeterDonis said:
Or you could give the actual reference where you got the quote from, so that others can also see the context.

Special Relativity by Robert Resnick, page 58

PeterDonis said:
Not in the quote you gave in the OP. Read it again.

Yes, I did not. And I should have done so.

These are the relevant pages.

Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 6.08.57 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 6.10.01 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 6.10.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 6.10.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 6.10.44 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 6.11.01 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 6.08.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 6.08.57 AM.png
    46.6 KB · Views: 433
  • Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 6.10.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 6.10.01 AM.png
    36 KB · Views: 431
  • Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 6.10.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 6.10.16 AM.png
    55.8 KB · Views: 456
  • Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 6.10.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 6.10.30 AM.png
    32.9 KB · Views: 417
  • Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 6.10.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 6.10.44 AM.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 461
  • Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 6.11.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 6.11.01 AM.png
    21.8 KB · Views: 456
Last edited:
PeterDonis said:
Which doesn't apply if the rod is oriented along the direction of motion.

I know the argument doesn't apply if the rod is oriented along the direction of motion, because I know the Lorentz transformation equations are true.

But since the text in these relevant pages is trying to derive the Lorentz transformation equations, it cannot and does not assume the Lorentz transformation equations to be true beforehand. Yet, without first assuming the Lorentz transformation equations to be true, I do not understand why the argument applies when the rod is oriented perpendicular to the direction of motion but does not apply when the rod is oriented along the direction of motion.

Last edited:
You might want to consider the step leading to ##y'=a_{22}y+a_{23}z## and the similar expression for ##z'##.

Likes PeterDonis
Ibix said:
You might want to consider the step leading to ##y'=a_{22}y+a_{23}z## and the similar expression for ##z'##.
So basically in order for the x-axis to continuously coincide with the x'-axis, the coefficients in y' and z' that multiply the x and t coordinates must be zero?

Also wouldn't a23 and a32 have to be zero as well?

Happiness said:
Yet, without first assuming the Lorentz transformation equations to be true, I do not understand why the argument applies when the rod is oriented perpendicular to the direction of motion but does not apply when the rod is oriented along the direction of motion.

The argument about the ##a_{22}## coefficient applies because ##y'=a_{22}y##.

The equation relating ##x'## to ##x## doesn't take the same form, so there is no same argument to be made.

Likes Happiness
Sorcerer said:
So basically in order for the x-axis to continuously coincide with the x'-axis, the coefficients in y' and z' that multiply the x and t coordinates must be zero?
Yes.
Sorcerer said:
Also wouldn't a23 and a32 have to be zero as well?
Not for the x and x' axes to coincide. That simply requires all points (t,x,0,0) to map onto (t',x',0,0). For example, if the y' and z' axes are rotated with respect to the y and z axes the x-axis still maps on to the x' axis.

The next paragraph makes additional arguments leading to ##a_{23}=a_{32}=0##.

Last edited:

1. How do Lorentz transformations relate to Einstein's theory of relativity?

Lorentz transformations are a mathematical tool used to describe the relationship between space and time in Einstein's theory of relativity. They help us understand how measurements of space and time change for observers in different frames of reference, and are essential for understanding the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction.

2. What is the difference between a Lorentz transformation and a Galilean transformation?

The main difference between a Lorentz transformation and a Galilean transformation is that the former takes into account the constancy of the speed of light in all inertial frames of reference, while the latter assumes that the speed of light is infinite. This distinction is crucial for accurately describing the behavior of objects at high speeds.

3. Can you explain the equation for Lorentz transformation in simple terms?

The equation for Lorentz transformation is a set of equations that describe how distances and times appear to change for observers in different frames of reference. It takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, and is essential for accurately describing the behavior of objects moving at high speeds.

4. How do Lorentz transformations affect our understanding of space and time?

Lorentz transformations have revolutionized our understanding of space and time. They have shown us that these concepts are not absolute, but rather depend on the frame of reference of the observer. They also help us understand the strange effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, which challenge our traditional notions of space and time.

5. Are Lorentz transformations applicable to all types of motion?

Yes, Lorentz transformations can be applied to all types of motion, as long as the motion is constant and does not involve acceleration. They are most commonly used to describe the behavior of objects moving at high speeds, but they can also be applied to slower speeds and even to objects at rest.