1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can't use a simple integral properly-must be retarded

1. Aug 30, 2012 #1
    I will show you my (obviously wrong) way of thinking when i have to apply an integral.
    Please correct me where i'm wrong.

(imaginary question)
    Suppose you have a mass distribution across a line, where the mass of each point is given by the equation f(x)=a*x (assume a is a constant)
    find the total mass, if the line is c meters long (beggining @ x=0)

(My stupid train of thought)
    We have to add up all the individual masses on the line.
    so devide the line into n segments, calculate the mass for each one and add them up
    f(x1)+f(x2)+...+f(xn)=
    a*x1+a*x2+...+a*xn=
    a(x1+x2+...+xn)=
    a*c

What am i doing wrong?
    (Besides the language use, i'm not a native and have little experience in such teminology)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Mass at each point does not have much sense. Is not f(x) the density at point x? Then the mass dm of a line element around x is dm=f(x) dx and you have to integrate from 0 to c.

If f(x) means the mass from 0 to x, then the total mass at x=c is just f(c) :smile:

ehild

4. Aug 30, 2012 #3
    Thank you. But how can you define density in segments while you cannot define mass?

5. Aug 30, 2012 #4
    a(x1+x2+...+xn)=
    a*c
    (x1+x2+...+xn)≠c

x1=0
    xcenter=c/2
    xn=c

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  6. Aug 30, 2012 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you have a continuous line the mass of a point of it is zero.
    But you can cut out a small length at position x, and measure the mass: it is Δm, and the length is Δx. The average linear density is Δm/Δx. If you cut out shorter and shorter pieces that ratio tends to the density at point x, to dm/dx = f(x). The total mass is the integral of f(x).

ehild

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  7. Aug 30, 2012 #6
    The linear density at point x, f(x), is the mass per unit length. Think of it as a chain.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook