1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitance 3 dielectrics sandwiched between two conductors.

1. Oct 8, 2013 #1
    Find that capacitance of the system consisting of 3 dielectrics w/ length, l=1.0m, width, w= 1.0m and depth, d= 1.0 CM. ##k_1=1.5, k_2=2, k_3=2.5## *dimensions of conducting plates not given*

Equations: Capacitance, ##C= Q/{\delta}V##

Field in the dielectrics
    ##E={\frac{\sigma}{k{\epsilon}_0}}##

I've found the fields in each dielectric, and the potential difference in each, but I'm getting hung up there. I've gotten down to, ##|{\delta}V|=({\frac{Q}{A{\epsilon}_0}})({\frac{1}{k_1}}+{\frac{1}{k_2}}+{\frac{1}{k_3}})##

My problem is, the A refers to the area of the conducting plate, but as i pointed out, nothing is said concerning dimensions of those plates.

Is there another method that does not care about the area that I'm missing?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You can assume the plates have the same dimensions as width and length of the dielectric materials.

4. Oct 8, 2013 #3
    That's what I thought, but the diagram provided clearly shows that conductors being larger than the dielectrics.

Is the portion that is the same dimension as the dielectrics the only portion if the conductor that has any effect?

5. Oct 8, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Can you show this diagram?
    No. For large k this is a good approximation (as you can neglect the air then), but your k-values are not large.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted