Capacitance and inductance of passive filter

In summary, the person is having trouble calculating the values needed for a capacitor and inductor for a passive filter. They only have information about voltage and frequency, but not current. However, current is not necessary to determine the values of capacitance and inductance. Additionally, in real applications, there are limitations on the range of values for these components. It is also mentioned that for a frequency as low as 60Hz, an active filter may be needed. The type of filter needed will depend on its purpose, such as low pass, impedance, roll off, or ultimate attenuation. There are various types of filters, such as Chebyshev, Butterworth, Elliptical, and Constant K, and there are online calcul
Idea04
I'm having some trouble calculating the values I need for a capacitor and inductor for a passive filter. The values that I know to use are current, voltage and frequency. But I have a voltage <1 volt and a frequency of 60Hz but no current. Can someone help me figure out what value of capacitor and inductor to use.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Idea04 said:
I'm having some trouble calculating the values I need for a capacitor and inductor for a passive filter. The values that I know to use are current, voltage and frequency. But I have a voltage <1 volt and a frequency of 60Hz but no current. Can someone help me figure out what value of capacitor and inductor to use.
You don't need to know the current. Just the frequency, capacitance and indunctance.
http://mysite.du.edu/~etuttle/electron/elect31.htm"

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have an equation to figure out inductance and capacitance. If I don't have the capacitor or inductor how do I determine what the inductance and capacitance is. All I have is the frequency.

There is no equation; both are free parameters.
However, in real applications you need real componenents. If you take a look at what is available you will quickly realize that the range is actually quite limited; you can't buy a 100F capacitor or a 1 fH inductor. You need to find a combination of values that give you the right frequency and at the same time result in realistic values for C and L.

Which, by the way, can't really be done at 60Hz; for frequencies that low you need an active filter (unless you are willing to spend a LOT of money on the type of huge chokes used in e.g. tube amplifiers).

What sort of filter? For what? Low pass? Impedance? Roll off? Ultimate attenuation?

There are plenty of filter types .. Chebyshev, Butterworth, Elliptical, Constant K. These will have low passband ripple if terminated with the current i/p and o/p impedance.

There are probably on-line calculators to give you the component values.

Voltage and current only come into when considering the required power handling.

What is capacitance and inductance?

Capacitance and inductance are two fundamental properties of passive filters. Capacitance refers to the ability of a component to store an electrical charge, while inductance refers to the ability of a component to store energy in a magnetic field.

What is a passive filter?

A passive filter is an electronic circuit that uses passive components such as capacitors, inductors, and resistors to filter out unwanted frequencies from a signal. They do not require a power source to function.

How do capacitors and inductors affect the performance of a filter?

Capacitors and inductors play a crucial role in determining the frequency response of a passive filter. Capacitors are used to block low frequencies and allow high frequencies to pass through, while inductors are used to block high frequencies and allow low frequencies to pass through.

What is the difference between a low-pass filter and a high-pass filter?

A low-pass filter is a type of passive filter that allows low frequencies to pass through and attenuates high frequencies. On the other hand, a high-pass filter allows high frequencies to pass through and attenuates low frequencies.

How do I calculate the capacitance and inductance values for a passive filter?

The capacitance and inductance values of a passive filter can be calculated using various formulas and equations, depending on the type of filter and its desired frequency response. It is recommended to consult a circuit analysis textbook or use online calculators for accurate calculations.