1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitance capacitor parallel plate with dielectric (Gauss)

1. May 5, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have an elementary doubt with the calculation of the capacitance of a capacitor of parallel plates that has a dielectric in the middle.

https://ibb.co/b0W4BQ

2. Relevant equations

∫D⋅ds=Q
    D=E+γP
    C=Q/V

3. The attempt at a solution
    Suppose the top plate has a positive charge and the bottom plate has a negative charge.

To calculate vector displacement in the upper plate, we occupy the gauss law, use a Gaussian box. On the outside of the top plate the polarization P is 0 and there is an electric field E. At the bottom of the plate there is an electric field E and a polarization P due to the dielectric.
    If we consider only the top plate:

∫D⋅ds=[D][/out]A+[D][/down]A=Q

[D][/out]=E
    [D][/down]=E+γP

If we consider the complete system (both plates)

∫D⋅ds=2*[D][/out]A+2*[D][/down]A=Q

[D][/out]=E
    [D][/down]=E+γP

The field inside is 2 E.

What is the error, I do not understand. D is zero outside from capacitor?
    Thank you

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2017 #2
    At a first glance I see some equation problems since D is not equal to E D=epsilonxE. On the other side the elctric field outside the plates is considered to be 0 since the infinite parallel plates asumption is used when Gauss Law is applied. You should check your relevant equations

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted