Capacitance of two tangential spheres

In summary, the potential at the surface of the two conducting spheres creates a capacitor where the potential difference is uniform on the surface.
Ans426
Hi,

Question:
Consider two conducting spheres with radius R, which are tangential each other (i.e. they touch right at one point)
If C = Q/V, where V is the potential at the surface, find the capacitance of this configuration.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've came along this question in some sort of old physics exam...
I've been giving it some thought for a while but haven't really came up with anything..
Anyone can shed some light on how to do this?
(For instance what charge distribution should it have? +ve on one, and -ve on the other?
And then integrate for all the charges on the surface?)

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If they are touching each other then they do not form a capacitor.

Thanks for the reply.

True...I guess that part was confusing me..
The question says that they are tangent to each other, so I guess we'll have to assume that they have infinitesimally close to each other but not touching?

But in that case, wouldn't the potential blow up at the point where they are tangent to each other?

Anyone, Please? :smile:

No, it is meant that the combined surface of the two spheres forms one plate of a capacitor, the other being at infinity. Think of it as just one isolated metalic sphere having a capacitance [itex]C = 4 \, \pi \, \varepsilon_0 \, R[/itex].

Your problem is really hard. I don't know if it has an answer in a closed form expression.

Dickfore said:
No, it is meant that the combined surface of the two spheres forms one plate of a capacitor, the other being at infinity. Think of it as just one isolated metalic sphere having a capacitance [itex]C = 4 \, \pi \, \varepsilon_0 \, R[/itex].

Your problem is really hard. I don't know if it has an answer in a closed form expression.
Thanks a lot, I wasn't aware that a single sphere could have capacitance too.
And yes, the question comes from an advanced level exam..

For a single sphere, it seems that C = Q/V makes sense only because V is uniform over the surface...
How about for a non-uniform potential in this case? Would you need to integrate over the surface?
Any input is appreciated! :smile:

Last edited:

Related to Capacitance of two tangential spheres

1. What is the capacitance of two tangential spheres?

The capacitance of two tangential spheres refers to the ability of two spheres placed in contact with each other to store electrical charge. It is a measure of the amount of charge that can be stored on the spheres at a given potential difference between them.

2. How is the capacitance of two tangential spheres calculated?

The capacitance of two tangential spheres can be calculated using the formula C = 4πε0R, where C is the capacitance, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and R is the radius of the spheres.

3. What factors affect the capacitance of two tangential spheres?

The capacitance of two tangential spheres is affected by the distance between the spheres, the radius of the spheres, the dielectric constant of the material between the spheres, and the potential difference between the spheres.

4. How does the capacitance of two tangential spheres change as the distance between them is increased?

The capacitance of two tangential spheres decreases as the distance between them is increased. This is because the electric field between the spheres weakens as the distance increases, resulting in a lower capacitance.

5. What is the significance of the capacitance of two tangential spheres in practical applications?

The capacitance of two tangential spheres is an important concept in electrical engineering and can be used to design and analyze various electronic circuits and devices. It is also relevant in understanding the behavior of capacitors, which are essential components in many electronic systems.