Capacitance of two spheres with equal radius

In summary, the speaker initially thought that the capacitance of two identical spherical conductors with a distance between them could be calculated by using the formula C = Q/V, but later discovered that this was incorrect. They found the correct formula on Wikipedia and noticed that when the separation is much larger than the radius, their incorrect formula gives a result close to the correct one. However, the speaker is unsure of why this is the case and seeks an explanation for their mistake. It is suggested that they may have ignored the effect of the electric field of each sphere on the charge distribution of the other.
bdvjofrni
I'm considering two identical spherical conductor each of radius ##a## and separated by a distance ##d##, and trying to figure out the capacitance of this configuration.
My thoughts are that since capacitance is
$$C=\frac {Q}{V}$$
and that the spherical conductors are equipotential surfaces, ##V## would just be
$$V=V_1-V_2=(\frac {kq}{a} - \frac {kq}{a+d})- (- \frac {kq}{a} + \frac {kq}{a+d}) = 2kq (\frac{1}{a} - \frac{1}{a+d})$$
and thus the capacitance would just be
$$C=\frac{1}{2k(\frac{1}{a}-\frac{1}{a+d})}=2πεa \frac {a+d}{d}$$

And then I read Wikipedia, and what I did turns out to be incorrect. Wikipedia says that the correct formula is
$$C=2πεa \sum\limits_{n=1}^∞ {\frac {\sinh (\ln (D+\sqrt {D^2-1}))}{\sinh (n \ln (D+\sqrt {D^2-1}))}}$$

I only know some very basic physics and this expression looks scary to me, but when ##a \ll d## they give pretty much the same result.
If I graph ##C## vs ##d## with a fixed radius ##a=1##, it looks like:
r94EReO.png

The blue line is the graph of the correct formula while red one is mine. It seems that when the separation ##d## is 10 times as big as radius ##a##, the formula I derived yields a result very close to the correct one.
So my question is, what did I fail to take into account when I considered this that led to my incorrect conclusion, and why is it that the formula I get approximately equals the correct formula when the separation gets large? (physically, not mathematically; I can see that both formulas approach horizontal asymptote ##2πεa##.
(I don't expect to really understand the correct formula on Wikipedia; that seems scary. Just wanted to know what I failed to take into account)
Thanks!

Attachments

• r94EReO.png
    r94EReO.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 1,717
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are writing down the solution for an isolated charged sphere, writing down the solution for another, and adding them together. So you are ignoring the effect of the electric field of each sphere on the charge distribution on the other one.

That's why your solution is about right at large separations where the interaction is weak, but fails at small separations where you can't neglect it.

Likes berkeman and Delta2

What is the definition of capacitance?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store an electric charge, measured in farads (F).

How is capacitance calculated for two spheres with equal radius?

The capacitance of two spheres with equal radius can be calculated using the formula C = 4πεr, where C is the capacitance, ε is the permittivity of the material between the spheres, and r is the radius of the spheres.

What factors affect the capacitance of two spheres with equal radius?

The capacitance of two spheres with equal radius is affected by the distance between the spheres, the permittivity of the material between the spheres, and the radius of the spheres.

How does the distance between the spheres affect the capacitance?

The capacitance is inversely proportional to the distance between the spheres. As the distance between the spheres increases, the capacitance decreases.

What is the unit of measurement for capacitance?

The unit of measurement for capacitance is farads (F).