Capacitor and inductor in parallel

In summary: But in a cycle, they do not appear at the same time. At a certain time, one of them is zero, the other is maximum, and vice-versa. So, you cannot add them directly.Also, in the case of resistances, the power dissipated is proportional to i2. So, you can directly add the power dissipated by each resistor, regardless of the fact that they are talking about rms values.Hope this helps.
Titan97
Gold Member

Homework Statement

[/B]
Find the power supplied by the battery.

Capture.PNG

Homework Equations

$$Z_C=-iX_C$$
$$Z_L=iX_L$$

The Attempt at a Solution

$$Z_1=R_1-iX_C=\sqrt{R_1^2+X_C^2}e^{i\phi_1}$$
$$Z_2=R_+iX_L=\sqrt{R_2^2+X_L^2}e^{i\phi_2}$$
$$I_1(t)=\frac{V_0}{\sqrt{R_1^2+X_C^2}}e^{i(\omega t-\phi_1)}$$
$$I_2(t)=\frac{V_0}{\sqrt{R_2^2+X_L^2}}e^{i(\omega t-\phi_2)}$$

##\phi_1=\arctan{\frac{12}{5}}##
##\phi_2=\arctan{\frac{4}{3}}##

$$i_{1,rms}=\frac{V_{rms}}{\sqrt{R_1^2+X_C^2}}=10A$$
$$i_{2,rms}=\frac{V_{rms}}{\sqrt{R_2^2+X_L^2}}=13A$$

Power dissipated is ##23\times 130\text{W}##

But the answer given is ##1514\text{W}##

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like the problem asks for active power.The active power comes out to be 1513.4W(close to the given answer). Start by finding the expression for current in complex form.
Titan97 said:
ϕ1=arctan125ϕ1=arctan⁡125\phi_1=\arctan{\frac{12}{5}}
This should be arctan (-12/5). The impedance in the capacitive branch is 5-j12 ohm.

Likes Titan97
Titan97 said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
Find the power supplied by the battery.

View attachment 100745

Homework Equations

$$Z_C=-iX_C$$
$$Z_L=iX_L$$

The Attempt at a Solution

$$Z_1=R_1-iX_C=\sqrt{R_1^2+X_C^2}e^{i\phi_1}$$
$$Z_2=R_+iX_L=\sqrt{R_2^2+X_L^2}e^{i\phi_2}$$
$$I_1(t)=\frac{V_0}{\sqrt{R_1^2+X_C^2}}e^{i(\omega t-\phi_1)}$$
$$I_2(t)=\frac{V_0}{\sqrt{R_2^2+X_L^2}}e^{i(\omega t-\phi_2)}$$

##\phi_1=\arctan{\frac{12}{5}}##
##\phi_2=\arctan{\frac{4}{3}}##

$$i_{1,rms}=\frac{V_{rms}}{\sqrt{R_1^2+X_C^2}}=10A$$
$$i_{2,rms}=\frac{V_{rms}}{\sqrt{R_2^2+X_L^2}}=13A$$Power dissipated is ##23\times 130\text{W}##

But the answer given is ##1514\text{W}##
The rms value of sum of complex currents is not equal the sum of the rms values. You know that only resistors dissipate power. The power dissipated in both parallel circuits is (Irms)2*R. Calculate (i1rms)2R1+(i2rms)2R2

Likes Titan97
@ehild that solved the question :D

Titan97 said:
@ehild that solved the question :D
Of course ! :smile:

But why:
ehild said:
The rms value of sum of complex currents is not equal the sum of the rms values

AC currents and voltages can be represented by their complex amplitudes-by complex numbers. The rms value is (1/√2) times the modulus of the complex voltage and current.
If you add two complex numbers z1 = a+jb and z2 = c+jd,
z1+z2 = (a+c)+j(b+d),
and the modulus is
##|z1+z2|=\sqrt{(a+c)^2+(b+d)^2} ##
which is not equal the sum of the absolute values
##|z1|=\sqrt {a^2+b^2}## and |##z2|=\sqrt {c^2+d^2}##.
As the rms value is 1/√2 times the magnitude, the rms values do not add, either.

As an example: If you have a capacitor of impedance -10j Ω and an inductor of impedance 10j Ω parallel to an AC source of rms voltage 100 V, the rms currents through both the capacitor and inductor are 10 A, but the total current is zero, as the complex currents cancel. I=U/(-10)+U/10) = 0.

Likes Titan97
Titan97 said:
But why:
RMS values are computed over a cycle. Here, rms values of currents are 10A and 13A which are time independent, because they are calculated over a complete cycle. If they were instantaneous currents, they could be added directly since both appear at the same time.

1. What is the purpose of using a capacitor and inductor in parallel?

The purpose of using a capacitor and inductor in parallel is to create a resonant circuit. This allows for a more efficient transfer of energy between the two components, resulting in a higher overall power output.

2. How does the behavior of a parallel capacitor and inductor differ from a series configuration?

In a parallel configuration, the capacitor and inductor have a combined impedance that is lower than either component alone. This results in a higher current flow and a larger resonance peak compared to a series configuration.

3. Can a capacitor and inductor in parallel cancel out each other's effects?

No, a capacitor and inductor in parallel cannot cancel out each other's effects. While they may have opposing reactances, their combined impedance will still affect the overall circuit. However, they can work together to reduce the overall impedance and improve the circuit's performance.

4. How do you calculate the total impedance of a parallel capacitor and inductor?

The total impedance of a parallel capacitor and inductor can be calculated using the formula Z = (1 / (1/ XC + 1/ XL)), where XC is the capacitive reactance and XL is the inductive reactance.

5. What are some common applications of parallel capacitor and inductor circuits?

Parallel capacitor and inductor circuits are commonly used in radio frequency filters, power factor correction circuits, and high-frequency transformer designs. They are also used in audio amplifiers and oscillators to improve the overall efficiency and performance of the circuit.