What is the value of the inductor in this capacitor and inductor problem?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Chase11
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Chase11
Messages
34
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A capacitor is charged with a 12 volt battery until there is 3 μc of charge on the capacitor. The capacitor is then connected to an inductor. The angular frequency of the resulting oscillation is 1.25 x 105 rad/s. What is the value of the inductor?

Homework Equations


LC: ω = 1/sqrt(LC)

The Attempt at a Solution


rearranging the equation gives: L=1/(ω2C)=1/(1.25E5rad/sec)(3E-6C)

This gave me an answer of 2.67 H, which is incorrect. Am I not using the correct equation for this type of problem?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think C is in the formula for the angular frequency ω = 1/sqrt(LC)??
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Chase11
Hi! Your answer is going to be wrong for two reasons, I think. You've forgotten there's a squared term? The C in the formula is capacitance, not charge.

I'm curious, though --- does your textbook give you its correct answer??
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Chase11
Sorry I know C is for capacitance I don't know why I did that, I still can't figure this out though. What term is supposed to be squared in this equation? It does give me the correct answer, it is supposed to be 256 μH.
 
Chase11 said:
the correct answer, it is supposed to be 256 μH.
The problem says the capacitor is given a charge of 3 μC from the battery; though it doesn't state that the capacitor is fully charged to 12V. This tells us that the capacitance is at least a certain minimum value---it could be larger and just not charged right up to 12V. We aren't told exactly.

So IMHO the correct answer is that L ≤ 256μH

This would make a good trick question, allocating 1 mark for 256 uH and 1 mark for the inequality.
 
Last edited: