Calculate the energy stored in Capacitor and Inductor

In summary, the problem asks for the energy stored in a circuit consisting of an 800mH inductor, a 20mF capacitor, and a switch in series, at t = 100ms. The capacitor is initially charged to Q = 400mC and the switch is closed at t = 0. Using the equations U= 1/2LI^2 + 1/2Q^2/c and I=Q/(LC)^1/2, the energy stored in the inductor and capacitor can be calculated as 7.94J. However, this solution may be incorrect since the energy as a function of time is a sine or cosine graph. More information or hints may be needed to solve the
ckboii89

Homework Statement

A circuit consists of an 800mH inductor, a 20mF capacitor, and a switch, all in series.The capacitor is charged with an initial charge charge of Q = 400mC, and the switch is closed at t= 0.
Calculate the energy stored in the Inductor and Capacitor at t = 100ms.

Homework Equations

U= 1/2LI^2 + 1/2Q^2/c
I=Q/(LC)^1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I= 3.16A
U=7.94J, there is no anwser key, it is a past exam that i do not have a key for. I feel i may have done this incorrectly since its asking for at t = 100ms, and U as a function of time is a sin/cos graph...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ckboii89 said:

Homework Statement

Calculate the energy stored in Capacitor and Inductor at t=100ms

Homework Equations

Qo^2/2C[cos^2(wt+phi)+sin^2(wt+phi)

The Attempt at a Solution

This is just one part of a practice exam, i just need a hint. Do i set phi to zero?
Calculated frequency,charge,ω
You haven't supplied a complete problem statement; there's no circuit or component values.
Your Relevant Equation isn't an equation.
Your Attempt at a Solution isn't an attempt at a solution; if you provide a complete problem statement and your attempt, then we will know how to help.

What is a capacitor and an inductor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that is used to store electrical energy in an electric field. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material. An inductor is an electronic component that is used to store electrical energy in a magnetic field. It consists of a coil of wire wrapped around a core material.

How do you calculate the energy stored in a capacitor?

The energy stored in a capacitor can be calculated using the formula E = 1/2 * C * V^2, where E is the energy in joules, C is the capacitance in farads, and V is the voltage across the capacitor. This formula assumes that the capacitor is fully charged.

How do you calculate the energy stored in an inductor?

The energy stored in an inductor can be calculated using the formula E = 1/2 * L * I^2, where E is the energy in joules, L is the inductance in henries, and I is the current flowing through the inductor. This formula assumes that the inductor is carrying a steady current.

How are the energy stored in a capacitor and an inductor related?

The energy stored in a capacitor and an inductor are related because they both store energy in an electric or magnetic field. In an electronic circuit, they can work together to control the flow of electrical energy.

What factors affect the energy stored in a capacitor and an inductor?

The energy stored in a capacitor is affected by the capacitance, voltage, and dielectric material used. The energy stored in an inductor is affected by the inductance, current, and core material used. Additionally, the physical size and shape of the components can also affect the energy storage capacity.