Capacitor and reactance question

In summary, the reactance of a 9.08 microFarad capacitor with a frequency of 17528.07 Hz has been measured to be 245.0 Ohm. However, the accuracy of this calculation is uncertain and should be double-checked.
kkingkong
A 9.08 microFarad capacitor is measured to have a reactance of 245.0 Ohm. At what frequency (in Hz) is it being driven?

I converted 9.08microFaraad in farads- 9.08x10^-6
THe formula i used was 1/(2*pi*f*9.08X10^-6) -- f = 17528.07 Hz

but i am not sure if this is the right answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
kkingkong said:
A 9.08 microFarad capacitor is measured to have a reactance of 245.0 Ohm. At what frequency (in Hz) is it being driven?

I converted 9.08microFaraad in farads- 9.08x10^-6
THe formula i used was 1/(2*pi*f*9.08X10^-6) -- f = 17528.07 Hz

but i am not sure if this is the right answer.

The formula is correct for the reactance, but the value for frequency that you found doesn't look right. Check your math.

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical charge. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, and its ability to store charge is measured in units of capacitance, typically expressed in farads (F).

2. How does a capacitor work?

When a voltage is applied to a capacitor, one plate becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged. This creates an electric field between the plates, and the capacitor stores energy in this field. The amount of charge that can be stored is determined by the capacitance and the voltage applied.

3. What is reactance in relation to capacitors?

Reactance is the opposition to the flow of alternating current (AC) caused by a capacitor. As the AC voltage alternates, the capacitor charges and discharges, resulting in a time delay or "lag" in the current flow. This opposition to the flow of current is known as capacitive reactance and is measured in ohms (Ω).

4. How is capacitive reactance calculated?

The formula for calculating capacitive reactance is XC = 1 / (2πfC), where XC is the capacitive reactance in ohms, f is the frequency of the AC signal in hertz (Hz), and C is the capacitance in farads (F). As the frequency increases, the capacitive reactance decreases, meaning the capacitor becomes more conductive to AC current.

5. What are some applications of capacitors?

Capacitors have a wide range of applications in electronic circuits. They are commonly used in power supplies to smooth out fluctuating voltages, as well as in filters to remove unwanted frequencies. Capacitors are also used in timer circuits, audio equipment, and many other electronic devices. In addition, they are essential components in electric motors, as they help control the flow of current and improve efficiency.