1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitor: charge and energy calculations

1. Dec 4, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A capacitor of capacitance 12*10^6 is fully charged from a 20V d.c. supply.
    i Calculate the charge stored by the capacitor.
    ii calculate the energy delivered by the dc supply
    iii calculate the energy stored in the capacitor.
    iv account for the difference between your answers for ii and iii.
    2. Relevant equations
    i charge is Q=CV
    ii I think this is W=QV
    iii I think this is W=1/2 CV^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    iv I am not so sure it may be the fact that the dc current is equal to the voltage across the circuit or potential difference or something. I don't really get that.
    i 2.4e-4
    ii4.8e-3
    iii2.4e-3

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2014 #2

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

Apparently this capacitor is actually ##10^{-6}## farads, not ##10^6## as written. With that understanding, your answers for i, ii and iii are correct.

For part iv, consider what is happening as the capacitor is halfway charged. The dc supply (ideally) is putting current out across a 20 V potential difference between its two leads. The capacitor (ideally) has a 10 V potential difference between its two leads. How can one account for the other 10 V of potential difference?

4. Dec 4, 2014 #3
    LOST TO RESISTANCE ?

5. Dec 4, 2014 #4

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

Yes. You could elaborate on that answer by offering possibilities for where the resistance could exist. Thinking about conservation of energy, you could think about where the energy that is "lost to resistance" goes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted