Capacitor charging with unknown resistor

In summary, to determine the resistance of the resistor in a simple direct current RC series charging circuit, one can use the equation q=Qe^\frac{-t}{RC} and measure the voltage at a certain time t. Another method is to differentiate the equation to find the current and measure it at different points in time. This principle is also used in measurement of resistances using the Anderson or other bridges.
cdotter

Homework Statement

Capacitor voltage as a function of time is recorded for a simple direct current RC series charging capacitor. How could we determine the resistance of the resistor?

Homework Equations

[tex]q=Qe^\frac{-t}{RC}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the question I'm just having trouble figuring it out. :grumpy:

If I know the voltage at a certain time t, couldn't I say that q=Cv? Then

[tex]Cv=Qe^\frac{-t}{RC} \Rightarrow R=\frac{-t}{C\;ln(\frac{Cv}{Q})}[/tex]

Where Q=CV and V=the voltage of the capacitor after it's finished charging?

Or is q=Cv incorrect?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

That would work. Another way is to differentiate the equation wrt time to get current and to measure current at different points in time. From those values too you can find the resistance. I think this principle is used in measurement of resistances using the Anderson (?) Bridge. I might be thinking of another bridge though.

I didn't think of that. Thank you.

I would suggest using the equation for the charging of a capacitor, which is q=CV(1-e^(-t/RC)). This equation takes into account the initial voltage of the capacitor, as well as the voltage at any given time during the charging process. From this equation, we can see that the voltage of the capacitor is dependent on the capacitance, resistance, and time.

To determine the resistance of the unknown resistor, we can rearrange the equation to solve for R. This would give us R = -t/(C*ln(1-(q/CV))). We can then plug in the known values of capacitance, time, and voltage at a specific point in time to solve for the resistance. This process can be repeated for multiple points in time to get an average resistance value.

Additionally, we can also plot the voltage as a function of time and use the slope of the line to determine the resistance. The slope of the line would be equal to -1/RC, so we can rearrange the equation to solve for R. This method may be more accurate if the data is not perfectly linear.

In summary, by using the equation for capacitor charging and rearranging it to solve for resistance, or by plotting the data and using the slope of the line, we can determine the resistance of the unknown resistor in the circuit.

1. How does a capacitor charge when connected to an unknown resistor?

When a capacitor is connected to an unknown resistor, the capacitor will charge according to Ohm's Law, which states that the current flowing through the circuit is directly proportional to the voltage across the circuit. The capacitor will initially charge rapidly, but as it approaches its maximum charge, the rate of charging will slow down.

2. What is the formula for calculating the charging time of a capacitor with an unknown resistor?

The charging time of a capacitor with an unknown resistor can be calculated using the formula t = RC, where t is the charging time in seconds, R is the resistance of the unknown resistor in ohms, and C is the capacitance of the capacitor in farads.

3. Can the capacitor be overcharged when connected to an unknown resistor?

Yes, the capacitor can be overcharged when connected to an unknown resistor. If the charging time is too long or the voltage across the capacitor exceeds its maximum limit, the capacitor can become damaged.

4. What is the effect of using a higher capacitance capacitor when charging with an unknown resistor?

Using a higher capacitance capacitor when charging with an unknown resistor will result in a longer charging time. This is because a higher capacitance means the capacitor can store more charge, and it will take longer to reach its maximum charge.

5. Is it possible to calculate the resistance of an unknown resistor when charging a capacitor?

Yes, it is possible to calculate the resistance of an unknown resistor when charging a capacitor. Using the formula t = RC, if the capacitance and charging time are known, the resistance of the unknown resistor can be calculated. However, this calculation may not be accurate due to factors such as leakage current and internal resistance of the capacitor.