1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitor in a Parallel Circuit

1. Apr 23, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm not sure how to put this in words, but I shall try. Alternatively, I've attached an image. It's hand-drawn, but I hope it's legible enough.

Imagine a circuit drawn in the shape of a rectangle, with a single resistor ##R_1## on the top side, plus a DC cell ##\epsilon_2## and a second resistor ##R_3## on the bottom side. Now connect the left and right sides of the rectangle with a horizontal line in the middle. This portion of the circuit contains the following: a capacitor ##C_1##, a second DC cell ##\epsilon_1##, and a third resistor ##R_2##.

Question: What are the currents at every point in the circuit?

2. Relevant equations

None.

3. The attempt at a solution

I would say that the portion of the circuit with the capacitor has no current flowing through, i.e. ##I_2=0##. I originally thought too that ##I_1## and ##I_3## are equal to zero too, because I found it difficult to accept that there will be current flowing in the other parts of the circuit if there is no potential difference across the middle branch.

Am I mistaken in thinking that ##I_2## is zero? If I am not, am I wrong in assuming that the potential difference between the left and right sides of the middle branch is zero? If I am still not, then why do the top and bottom branches have currents flowing? How do the potential differences work out?

Many thanks for any assistance!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2013 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are not mistaken about this. The current, ##\ I_2\,,\ ## is zero.

... Well, it's zero if the capacitor is not charging or discharging.

Yes. You are wrong about this. That ##\ I_2=0\ ## only means that the voltage drop across R3 is zero. The is a potential difference across ##\ \varepsilon_1\ ## and also across the capacitor.

4. Apr 23, 2013 #3
    Forgot to mention that it's in steady state, sorry!

Ahh I see it now. What an embarrassing blunder. Thanks a bunch! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted