Capacitors and Power (two problems)

In summary: So in summary, the two plates of a capacitor acquire charges of the same magnitude because they have the same capacitance and are connected to the same voltage source. This is true only if the plates are of the same size and shape. If the plates are different, the capacitance will change and the charges on the plates will be different. Additionally, for the second problem, the 100-W bulb will draw more current and have a higher resistance than the 75-W bulb.
JWSiow

Homework Statement

When a battery is attached to a capacitor, why do the two plates acquire charges of the same magnitude? Will this be true if the two conductors are different in size or shape? Explain.

Homework Equations

Q=CV and C=epsilon x A/d

The Attempt at a Solution

I wasn't sure if my answer was correct. I said, assuming the two plates are the same size and parallel, they will have the same capacitance, hence carry the same charge (from C=QV, where V is also the same for both plates). Also, the current flowing through the plates will be of equal, individual charges. As C=epsilon x A/d, this will not be true between conductors of different size and shape. This is because the capacitance will change, and they will be able to store different amounts of charges, hence may have different magnitudes.

Homework Statement

When a lightbulb needs to be replaced, you have a choice between a 100-W bulb and a 75-W bulb. Which would draw more current? Which has the highest resistance?

Homework Equations

V=IR, P=IV=I2R=V2/R

The Attempt at a Solution

Wasn't very sure with this one. But, using the equations above, and assuming voltage is the same for both bulbs, the 100W bulb would draw more current, and since R=I/V, it would also have a larger resistance.

Physics news on Phys.org
for question 1: You are talking about single capacitor in your problem. So there is only one capacitance not two in your circuit even though you change size/ shape of conductors.
The equation
[tex] C=\frac{\epsilon A}{d} [/tex]

holds for single capacitor. I don't know how you are considering it as two capacitors!

Question 2: You are right in saying 100W bulb draws more current. But how you said that it has large resistance? It is contradicting because more resistance allows less current!

Last edited:
woops.. Thanks! I started calling the two plates capacitors :| and for Question 2, I just rearranged the equation in my head wrong (thought R=I/V instead of R=V/I)

For your first problem, you assume that both plates of the capacitor are initially uncharged. You will also assume that each terminal of the battery has zero initial charge. Using conservation of charge show that the charge on the plates of the capacitor are equal and opposite.

Okay, thanks!

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy by accumulating a charge on its two conductive plates separated by an insulating material called a dielectric. It is commonly used in electronic circuits to filter, block, or store electrical signals.

2. How does a capacitor store energy?

A capacitor stores energy by accumulating opposite charges on its two plates, creating an electric field between them. The amount of charge a capacitor can store is determined by its capacitance, which is measured in farads (F). When the capacitor is connected to a power source, the electric field between the plates stores the energy in the form of an electric potential difference.

3. What is the difference between a capacitor and a battery?

A capacitor and a battery both store energy, but in different ways. A battery uses a chemical reaction to store and release energy, while a capacitor stores energy in an electric field. Additionally, batteries can provide a steady flow of energy over a longer period, while capacitors are better suited for short bursts of energy.

4. How does a capacitor affect power in a circuit?

A capacitor can affect power in a circuit by storing and releasing energy, which can impact the voltage and current in the circuit. When a capacitor is first connected to a circuit, it acts as a short circuit, allowing current to flow freely. As it charges, it begins to resist the flow of current, reducing the power in the circuit. However, once the capacitor is fully charged, it acts as an open circuit, blocking the flow of current and maintaining a steady voltage.

5. How do I calculate the power of a capacitor?

The power of a capacitor can be calculated by multiplying the square of the voltage across the capacitor by its capacitance and dividing by two, or P = (V^2*C)/2. This formula represents the energy stored in the capacitor per unit time. The power of a capacitor can also be calculated by multiplying the applied voltage by the current flowing through the capacitor, or P = IV.